What If

Q: What is the “What-If” feature?
The “What If” function allows you to hypothetically change your major, minor, or concentration. The What If worksheet will show you what coursework is required for the new major, minor, or concentration, what courses you have taken that satisfy requirements, and what courses are still left for you to take.

Q: If I use the “What If” feature does this mean that I have changed/declared my major?

No. The “What If” function is for information purposes only. You will see the header “What If” Worksheet displayed at the top of the worksheet whenever an worksheet is run on a” What If” scenario.

Q: Can my advisor see my What If scenario?
Since What If scenarios are not stored on Degree Works, your advisor can only see your results if the two of you work through a What If procedure together.

Q: Can I save my “What If” scenario?
No. “What If” plans are not saved on Degree Works. You would need to run a new “What If” scenario next time you log in to see it again. If you want to save multiple “What If” plans, you will need to save them as PDF files to your computer, flash drive, or other storage device for future retrieval.

Q: If I like what I see in my “What If” scenario, how do I initiate those changes?
Speak with your academic advisor or the department in which the major/minor is housed. If you need to change/declared your major/minor/concentration (Undergraduates only) you need to complete a “Change of Major”, available in each academic department, and obtain approval from the department. The Office of the Registrar updates your record.

Q: I want to change my major. How can I see what would be required if I made this change?

You can use the “what‐if” tab to do an worksheet using criteria you select. Please note, though, that what‐if worksheets are unofficial and do not guarantee that you will be able to major in the area you select. If you decide you’d like to change your major, you should visit the department office for your intended major for additional information or contact the advising office to make the change.