Holds or Cancellations

Limitations on Course Withdrawals
Effective September 1, 2007, institution of higher education may not permit a student to drop more than six courses, including any course dropped at another institution of higher education. For specific details to this rule refer to the following web address: Six_Drop_Rule.pdf (Enacted by the 80th Legislative Session of the State of Texas – SB 1231)

Course Changes and Withdrawals
Course changes and withdrawals are accepted only as designated in the academic calendar. All such changes in registration require the approval of the student’s advisor and/or dean. No change in registration is complete until filed with the Office of the Registrar for recording. A student who wishes to withdraw from a course other than an undergraduate pre-college developmental course (reading, writing, mathematics, study skills), but whose advisor, Department Head, or Dean will not approve may appeal to the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs.

Voluntary Withdrawal from a Course
1. A student may withdraw from a course before the Change of Program Period ends without having the course recorded on his/her permanent record.
2. Withdrawal from a course will be allowed until two weeks after mid-term examinations period during the fall and spring semesters, and one week before the date of the final examination during a summer term. No Withdrawal from a course will be allowed after that point. Withdrawals must be approved by the advisor/department head/dean.
3. The student is automatically assigned a grade of “W” to indicate a course withdrawal. The “W” will not be calculated in the GPA.
4. Withdrawals from courses may affect housing, graduation, financial aid, and membership in organizations or other opportunities.
Academic Information and Regulations 125

Administrative Withdrawal
To be administratively withdrawn from the University is to be dismissed from the University. A student may be dismissed from the university for failure to make satisfactory academic progress, failure to pay legitimate debts on schedule, or for inappropriate behavior that is detrimental to good order. Administrative withdrawal does not relieve the student of the responsibility for all debts, including tuition, fees, room and board, and other incidental charges for the full semester. Administrative withdrawal due to failure to meet financial obligations will result in the following:
• Transcripts being withheld
• Room and board privileges being lost
• Classroom admittance being denied

A student who has been dismissed for financial reasons can have privileges restored upon payment of all outstanding charges and a reinstatement fee.

Voluntary Withdrawal from the University
Students seeking to withdraw from the University may seek advice and counsel from several sources: Registrar, Course Instructors, Department Head, or Dean. A student may be required to meet with a transition coordinator who will asses the student’s rationale for withdrawal, and through referral, coordination, counseling, or other University resources, assist the student with remaining enrolled if possible.
A student who officially withdraws after the Change of Program period through the last class day will receive a grade of “WV” for all courses affected by the withdrawal.

Transcript & Degree Holds
A transcript or degree may be withheld for failure to meet financial obligations.  No official transcript will be released and/or degree will not be posted due to the following reasons:

  • Past  due tuition & fee balance
  • Past due housing balance
  • Past due short term loan balance
  • Failure to complete exit loan counseling

Registration Holds
A student may be blocked from any future term registration for failure to meet financial obligations of a current or previous term. A hold will be placed on the student’s account in BANNER until the balance is paid in full. Students may make payment arrangements for past due balances by doing the following:

  • Students seeking payment plans for past due balances must seek assistance through Treasury Services at stuar@pvamu.edu or by calling 936-261-1890.
  • Short term loans may be available to assist with past due if the student qualifies.   The student will be assessed a $100.00 application fee for processing. Loan application can be found at http://www.pvamu.edu/fmsv/treasury-services/short-term-tuition-fee-loans-requirements/short-term-loan-application/
  • Payment plans may be established provided that the student does not owe for a previous payment plan or short term loan.
  • If the student has not made full payment on an existing payment plan, no payment plan will be given until the previous installment plan is paid in full.
  • If a payment agreement is reached with Treasury Services, the hold will be temporarily released for registration only. No official transcripts will be released on a payment plan.

State Holds

 Students that have unpaid obligations may be placed on state hold with the State Comptroller’s office.

  1. The state hold will prevent the student from receiving any payments from another state agency until the balance is paid in full with the university.
  2. The state hold will not be released until the balance is paid in full.

Please note that a hold is not limited to the reasons above.

All information regarding cancellation and withdrawal of courses and holds can be found in the University catalog at the following link: