To live is to die. Every beginning has an end. That’s not a very pleasant way to begin, but as Believers we are on a journey that ends with the grave. As a child I watched my mother deal with her mother as she entered the last chapters of her life. I didn’t fully understand what was going on, but I remember my mother assisting my grandmother to her various appointments. As life would have it, now its my turn to assist my mother with those some kinds of errands.

One thing I now understand about the elderly folks in my family is the way they embrace everything gospel. On the radio, TV, humming hymns around the house, everything. I think I know what my future will look like. Anyway, one morning as I was preparing to do whatever it was my mother asked me to do, her TV channel was tuned to one of the religious channels. From the conversations I heard from the program the commentators would most likely be considered politically Conservatives. For the record, that didn’t bother me. Everyone, regardless of race/ethnicity or political affiliations, has a right to seek grace and mercy from the one Savior.

However, as the TV conversation continued, I realized they were discussing abortions and how our society is doomed. They equated abortion with murder. My first thought was that I understood their point of view, a bit extreme, but I understood. Then I began to wonder where was this righteous indignation when Trayvon Martin was murdered. Where were you?

Don’t worry. I’m not going to go down a list of blacks that were murdered either by the police or some kind of police “wanna-be.” But what really raised my ire towards these religious TV personalities was my recollection of the number of military veterans murdered (lynched) while still in their uniform. Where was the righteous indignation then? In fact, where’s the righteous indignation now?

At this point I took a deep breath and proceeded to my errands. After all, my mother was not going to feed me for sitting around listening to the TV. One day it’ll be my turn when my sons will help me with errands. I’m hoping that time will be a long way off, but all it takes is one stumble and I’ll be dependent on others. For every beginning, there’s and end. I just pray in those days when my sons are running errands for me, everyone will realize that all lives matter and not just the unborn or those with similar political views.

Later