The Texas Institute for the Preservation of History and Culture is producing the most comprehensive documentation ever undertaken for the history of the African American experience in Texas. To accomplish this we’re putting together an online encyclopedia and we encourage you to contribute items about people, places, events, issues, politics/legislation, sports, entertainment, religion, etc., as general entries or essays.
Our documentation is wide-ranging and diverse, therefore, we’re open to including anyone (living or deceased) or anything notable that relates to black history in Texas. You may research and write about the subject of your interest or, to start, please consult our list of suggested biographical entries and see submission guidelines below. However, all entries must be approved by TIPHC before beginning your research/writing.
We ask that all entries be concise, factual, informative, authoritative, and documented. This means that each submission should have a complete bibliography listing primary as well as secondary sources.
- Entries should be double spaced and submitted using Microsoft Word.
- Each entry should begin with the title on one line, followed by your name, title, etc. on the next line (exactly as you wish it to appear on the TIPHC website). Entries should list basic facts about the topic or individual -- "who," "what," "when," "where," "why," and "how," and should be grammatically correct.
- You should be careful to use your own words. Please do not use verbatim (word-for-word) phrasing from a book, newspaper article, magazine or journal article, Internet, or other source without putting the text in quotation marks and citing the source immediately afterward.
- Each entry should include a bibliography that lists where you obtained your information or where a reader of the entry may go to obtain further information. Please include as much information for the bibliographic citations as possible, including complete page links for Internet research. (For examples: biographical entry -- http://www.tbhpp. org/arnold.html; essay -- http://www.tbhpp. org/africans_newspain.html).
- If submitting images, please include as much information as possible about the photo, i.e. full description of image, date, location photo taken, who should be credited or information on who should be contacted for credit and usage rights. Or, please note if image is in public domain.
- TIPHC reserves the right to edit or reject all submitted material.
- In addition to your contact info, please submit a brief bio and/or your CV.
Thank you for contributing to this unique and exciting project!