How to Apply for Admission
Admission to Prairie View A&M University is open to qualified individuals, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, national origin or educationally unrelated handicaps. Academic Preparation and motivation to succeed are major criteria for admission to the University.
Graduate in the top 25% of high school graduating class in Texas in one of the two school years preceding the academic year for which applicant is applying for admission (TEC 51.803) as determined by high school GPA and graduate under the distinguished or recommended program.
- Official high school transcript or GED and graduate under the distinguished or recommended program
- Passage of any state mandated examination used as a high school exit examination
- High school grade point average that is equal to or greater than a 2.80 (on a 4.0 scale)
- SAT score of 800 (Combined Critical Reading/Verbal & Math) OR an ACT composite score of 15*
* ACT writing section not required
A student transferring from community/junior college or another university with 15 transferable semester credit hours will be admitted with a cumulative grade point average of 2.00 or better from the last institution attended and official transcripts of all work completed at other institutions. Transfer applicants who have earned fewer than 15 semester credit hours in a calendar year must satisfy the regular requirements for freshman admission and have college GPA of 2.0 or better (See Freshman Admission). A student on academic probation or suspension from another institution is not in good academic standing and is not eligible for admission.
Courses accepted for transfer must be from a college or university accredited by one of the regional accrediting agencies for higher education. Additional Resources:
Students who have previously attended Prairie View A&M University and do not enroll for courses during one or more semesters, but who wish to return, must submit an application for admission and pay an application processing fee. If a student has attended any other institution while away from Prairie View A&M University, the student will be classified as a former student. Transfer credits will be evaluated and applied as appropriate.
A transient student is one who is currently enrolled in another college or university, is in good standing, and desires admission to Prairie View A&M University for a limited period, usually one semester or summer term. Admission as a transient student is determined after the completed application has been reviewed and approved and the application processing fee has been paid. To enroll in classes a student must provide a college transcript.
Steps to apply as Transient Student:
- Limited to ONE Semester Only
- Completed State of Texas Common Application
- Pay the Non-refundable $ 40.00 Application Fee
- Must be in Good Academic Standing from Home Institution
- Completed Transient Student Affidavit (PDF Format)
- To enroll in classes, a student must provide a transcript
For additional information please see the Transient Students guide.
All International students must comply with INS rules and regulations. Undergraduate international students must complete the application and pay the non-refundable $50.00 application processing fee in U.S currency.
All International student must submit the following in addition to the above listed items:
- Evidence of ability to finance education – affidavit of support
- Evidence of ability to speak, write and comprehend written and oral English language. All students must present a score of 500 on the TOEFL.
Evaluation of foreign transcripts – Applicants must submit official transcripts for all high school and college work completed up to the time of expected enrollment.
An evaluation of all foreign college transcripts can be completed by any member of National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES)
Steps to apply for international students:
* For more information concerning I-20-Certification of Eligibility for Non-Immigrant (F-1) student status please contact: Evelyn J. McGinty, Immigration Services Associate at 936-261-1725 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For information please visit the Application Deadlines webpage.
For additional information contact the:
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
Prairie View A&M University
P.O. Box 519, Mail Stop 1009
Prairie View, Texas 77446-1009
Phone: 936- 261-1000 FAX: 936-261-1079
Texas Success Initiative Assessment (Formally known as THEA) All students entering any Texas public institution for the first time are required by law to take the TSIA test prior to taking college-level courses unless they qualify for TSIA exemption. For specific information, please contact the Office of Testing, tracking, Assessment and Evaluation at Prairie View.