Steps to Apply

APPLY for ADMISSION: In order to be awarded financial aid, students must be admitted to the University.  You may complete an application for admission via the Apply Texas web page.

SUBMIT the FAFSA: All students who wish to be considered for need-based federal aid and institutional grant assistance must complete a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).  The easiest way to complete the FAFSA is to apply online.  Students (and parents of dependent students) will need to obtain a PIN in order to sign the FAFSA electronically.  Paper copies of the FAFSA are also available from any high school guidance office or post-secondary institution’s financial aid office. The FAFSA or Renewal FAFSA should be completed via the web at as soon as possible after January 1 for the upcoming academic year. Prairie View A&M University’s priority filing date for submitting this form to the federal student aid processing center is MARCH 15.  Students who submit FAFSAs by the priority filing date are given first consideration for all scholarship and grant assistance awarded by the university. Prairie View A&M University’s school code for the FAFSA is 003630.

RETAIN a copy of the FAFSA or Renewal FAFSA for your file.  Also, be sure to retain copies of your/your parents’ tax returns in case they are requested later.  (Do not send tax returns or other documentation with your FAFSA).

CHECK YOUR E- MAIL:  Within approximately four weeks of completing the FAFSA, you should receive a SAR (Student Aid Report) indicating that your FAFSA has been processed and sent to the institutions you designated. If you provided an email address, you will receive an email notification with instructions for viewing and printing your SAR.  If you did not provide a valid email address, a paper SAR will be mailed to you.  Check the SAR for accuracy, and make sure that Prairie View A&M University is listed as a recipient of your information.  If Prairie View A&M University is listed as a recipient of your data, that information should be transmitted electronically to the institution for review.

SUBMIT any other requested documentation promptly.  You may be requested to submit copies of tax returns or other documentation to complete your financial aid application.  Respond promptly to these requests to assure timely processing of your application.

Beginning May 1 financial aid award packages will be emailed to all students.

AWARD CONDITIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:  Be sure to read the materials accompanying your award letter for conditions attached to your award.  If awarded federal or university loan assistance, a promissory note must be signed and returned before funds will be disbursed.

ENTRANCE LOAN COUNSELING:  Prior to receiving your first disbursement of William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan funds you will be required to complete an entrance loan counseling session. William D. Ford Direct Loan Entrance counseling is provided via the web at

COMPLETE YOUR DIRECT LOAN MPN:  If you are awarded a William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan, your eligibility will be certified electronically.  You must follow the steps provided via the US Department of Education’s web page at and complete your master promissory note. The US Department of Education will be in touch with you when the loan has been approved.

FINANCIAL AID DISBURSEMENT:  Financial aid is awarded by the Office of Student Financial Aid, but is disbursed by the University Treasury Services Office.  Aid awards made for the academic year are usually disbursed in two installments at the beginning of each semester, assuming you are registered for the number of hours on which your financial aid award was based.  If your award is made after the semester has begun, university and federal grant funds will be disbursed electronically within 48 to 72 hours.  If your award package includes William D. Ford Direct Loan funds, the aid will be disbursed to your student account as soon as we confirm that you have completed both Direct Loan Entrance Counseling and Electronic Multi-year Promissory Note (eMPN). Treasury Services normally sends refunds to students on a weekly basis.

SUMMER SCHOOL FINANCIAL AID:  After spring grades are posted and satisfactory academic progress is reviewed, summer financial aid is awarded.  In order for your award to be made prior to the beginning of the summer term, you must have pre-registered. You must be enrolled for at least 6 hours in summer to receive a Federal Direct Loan.

Was this information helpful? Provide Feedback or report broken links.