Texas Juvenile Crime Prevention Center Holds Third Annual Undergraduate Research Information Session
The Texas Juvenile Crime Prevention Center (TJCPC) at Prairie View A&M University, in partnership with the Office of Undergraduate Research (Office of Research, Innovation, and Sponsored Programs (ORISP)), held its Third Annual Undergraduate Research Information Session on Oct. 21, 2019.
This year’s event introduced new elements, including a workshop geared towards faculty entitled, “Research Mentoring of Undergraduates.” It was provided by Dr. Logan Yelderman (Psychology Department). Additionally, four workshops were offered to undergraduates to help them build strong and competitive applications. Those workshops included: Innovation and Entrepreneurship (Dr. Thomas Nguyen, ORISP), Writing a Strong Personal Statement(Steven Thomas, Michigan State University); Research Process and Abstract Writing (Dr. Quincy Moore, PVAMU Honors Program, Biology Department); Future Public Health Leaders (Hallie Williams, University of Michigan); and Scientific Outreach and Writing (Dr. Thomas Wilkie, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center).
Various summer program representatives also hosted information tables in the Don Clark Building. The following programs were represented:
- Cancer Prevention & Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT)-CURE Summer Undergraduate Program (Kari Brewer Savannah; MD Anderson Cancer Research Center; Houston, TX)
- Summer Undergraduate Research Program (Mary Ann Wolfe; Texas A&M University College of Medicine; Bryan, TX)
- Summer Research Opportunities Program of the Big Ten Academic Alliance Universities (Steven Thomas; Michigan State University; East Lansing, MI)
- Summer Research – Early Identification Program (Medeva Ghee; Brown University; Providence, RI)
- Summer Health Professions Education Program (Robert D. Spears; University of Texas Science Center; Houston, TX)
- Future Public Health Leaders (FPHLP) (Hallie Williams; University of Michigan; Ann Arbor, MI)
- Summer Undergraduate Research Program (SURP) (Nancy Strange; MD Anderson Cancer Research Center; Houston, TX)
- Office of Undergraduate Research (Grace Abolaji; Prairie View A&M University, Prairie View, TX)
- Cancer Prevention Research Training Program (CPRTP) Summer Research Experience (Kava L. Lewis; MD Anderson Cancer Research Center; Houston, TX)
Two representatives, Hallie Williams (Future Public Health Leaders Program) and Steven Thomas (Summer Research Opportunities Program of the Big Ten Academic Alliance Universities), gave additional presentations to several classes on campus.