The faculty and staff in the College of Agriculture and Human Sciences (CAHS) at Prairie View A&M University (PVAMU) are among the finest at achieving excellence in their respective fields. On Tuesday, May 2, 2023, four CAHS employees were recognized at the 2023 Faculty and Staff Awards Luncheon. The awards luncheon this year was themed Reach for Excellence, the PVAMU faculty and staff awards recognize and honor its employees who exemplify exceptional work for significant contributions in teaching, research, and service, which are areas of importance to the university’s 1890 land-grant mission. 

The nominees were eligible for awards in four categories: Presidential Awards, Faculty Awards, Faculty and Staff Reach and Innovation Awards and Staff Awards. 

After a public call for nominations, a selection committee selected the finalists and winners. CAHS Assistant Professor Peter Ampim, Ph.D., received the Presidential Award for Outstanding Achievement as a Faculty Member. This award is the highest honor bestowed on faculty members by the university. The accomplishments and contributions of those selected are highly respected and worthy of recognition. They have impacted not only PVAMU but also the broader community, the state of Texas, and at the national and international levels. 

“It is heartwarming for colleagues to recognize and appreciate my work and to select me for this award,” Dr. Ampim said. “It also affirms the belief my parents and mentors engrained in me that hard work pays off.” 

Associate Professor Ram Ray, Ph.D., also received an award for Excellence in Sponsored Research. Last year Dr. Ray worked to accomplish more than 15 peer-reviewed article publications, 17-externally funded projects ($12.5 million as a Principal Investigator (PI) and about $80 million as a Co-PI), went on three international trips to train other researchers, and earned two awards for his research (Faculty Senate Awards for Excellence in Research and an Emerging Research Award from the CAHS). He says recognition at the university level is an encouraging motivation for all his efforts. 

“This recognition will give me more energy to do better than before,” says Dr. Ray. 

Two other CAHS members were recognized for their work. Agro-Innovation Technology Center (AITC) Director Ashwani Srivastava won the Faculty/Staff Research and Innovation Award for Excellence in Innovation, Commercialization, and Entrepreneurship. This year, Srivastava formally integrated virtual reality (VR) technology into his unit and was on hand to provide vital IT support activity for several CAHS events. 

“I feel tremendously honored and grateful to have my work in the realm of innovation recognized,” Srivastava said. “I must thank our Dean Gerard D’Souza, Ph.D., for believing in my ability and nominating me for such a prestigious award. This honor reflects the commitments and efforts of the gifted people I work with. I am devoted to continuing to add value, offer new technological perspectives, and help in the future.” 

CAHS Assistant Professor Noel Estwick, Ph.D., won the Faculty Award for Global Engagement. While these awards honor individual triumphs, Dr. Ampim says there are so many people and opportunities that contribute to the devotion he puts forth each day. 

“I am proud of my team, Dr. Eric Obeng, and all the students I have had the pleasure and opportunity to supervise and mentor over the years,” Dr. Ampim said. “I am also proud of all my collaborators within and external to our university. Our collective activities and successes have contributed to the recognition I enjoy. I am grateful for the rapport, collaborative spirit, and opportunities I am a part of.” 

Altogether, there were 15 awards presented at the luncheon. Details for the next awards luncheon will be announced in December. 

Click here to see the complete list of recipients for the 2023 Faculty and Staff Awards. 

Pictures: Courtesy of Prairie View A&M University Marketing and Communications 

La’Beaula Times
Communication Specialist II
lstimes@pvamu.edu