September 6 – This year, the Prairie View A&M University (PVAMU) College of Agriculture and Human Sciences (CAHS) is welcoming eight new students and ten returning students under the United States Department of Agriculture’s 1890 National Scholars Program, a record-breaking number for the partnership.

Incoming freshmen Trinity Bluford, Nina Edwards, Christian Peer, Halee Broadnax, Kira McLeod, Ashauri Lewis, and Olivia Greenwood and Gillian Cunningham, sophomores, received full scholarships to earn degrees in agricultural-related disciplines and work within the government upon graduation.

The program is designed to set up these students to enjoy a fruitful career in agriculture, a field that underrepresents minorities in this discipline.

“The USDA/1890 National Scholars Program will provide full tuition, employment, employee benefits, fees, books, and room and board each year for up to 4 years to selected students pursuing a bachelor’s degree, a paid summer work experience, and the opportunity to be converted to full-time employment upon graduation,” Horace D. Hodge, USDA/1890 liaison and manager of the PVAMU program said. “It just doesn’t get much better than this. We have been very successful with this program at PVAMU. This is a win, win, win, partnership. The PVAMU screening committeemen Drs. Wash Jones, Richard Griffin, led by Chairman, Dr. Alfred L. Parks has done an outstanding job in the application evaluation process.”

Though each student comes from different backgrounds and experiences, their similar dedication to academic success propelled them to study agriculture at PVAMU.

“I felt like being awarded this scholarship was a huge accomplishment,” Broadnax said. “I worked hard for four years in high school, and I knew that when I graduated and was on my way to college, I would apply for as many scholarships as possible. To hear that I received it was a privilege and very rewarding.”

The incoming eight students plan to study a variety of areas, including plant-soil science, nutrition, pre-veterinarian science, and food sciences.

Edwards, an artist who plans to work for the Office of Civil Rights for the USDA Forest Service, plans to use her love of botany, floristry, and gardening to inform her career aspirations.

“Most of my pieces focus on the racial and environmental problems nationally and globally,” Edwards said. “I hope that I will be able to somewhat incorporate my passions of art and environmental awareness into this program and also as a student at Prairie View A&M University.”

The university’s newest 1890 scholars are eager to explore the wealth of resources provided by CAHS and the university to prepare themselves for their academic studies.

“I know that I will get the most support here not only from my professors and staff, but alums as well,” McLeod said. “I know that HBCUs look out for their own, and it’s always nice to know that someone has your back, especially during everything that’s happened last year and this completely new journey I am about to start on.”

The scholarship is available to all high school seniors and college students entering their sophomore or junior years.

Pascale Mondesir
Communication Specialist II
pamondesir@pvamu.edu
(936) 261-5155