Dora Marin
Dora Marin

Fall 2019 Graduate Plans to Address Global Issue of Food Security

Dora Marin is a USDA/1890 National Scholar who will be graduating from Prairie View A&M University this fall. With a B.S. in agriculture (plant and soil sciences), she plans to start her career with the United States Department of Agriculture’s Natural Resources Conservation Service (USDA-NRCS) at the start of 2020.

“I aspire to be a soil conservationist and a good steward to the land,” said Marin. “I also hope to provide communities with food security.”

The Waller County native filled her time at PVAMU in the following organizations: Minorities in Agriculture, Natural Resources and Related Sciences (MANRRS), the National Society of Collegiate Scholars, and she was president and founder of the Student Garden Club.

“I was also involved in many conferences where I presented research. I won first place in the College of Juvenile Justice & Psychology’s Research Symposium and the Pathways Student Research Symposium at Texas A&M International University in Laredo, Texas,” she said. “I also contributed to the student-led Community Garden in Prairie View, which started the Student Garden Club and helped serve the Farmers Market.”

Marin also had two internships – one with the USDA-NRCS, and a fellowship at the Reuse Water Quality Research and Extension Experiences for Undergrads (REEU) Program at Texas A&M University.

“Having those experiences opened my eyes to see what my life’s work could potentially be,” she said. “They also provided a skill set that I could use throughout my life.”

And, the first-generation college student always knew she’d end up in Prairie View for college.

“I am very close to my family and my community, being a resident from Hempstead,” said Marin. “And being able to have this degree makes me ecstatic that I will be able to make my parents proud.”

Marin said she couldn’t ask for better professors and classmates.

“The professors at PVAMU connect with their students and try to do all that is possible to teach to their students wholeheartedly,” she said. “But what I love most about PVAMU are my classmates, as we are all very close. The connections I’ve made here are for a lifetime.”

And Marin’s advice to younger Panthers – focus.

“When you come to PVAMU, don’t be afraid of change. You are at a new place, yes, but as soon as you arrive, focus on your schoolwork and also focus on the needs of students and professors. This need will allow you to make PVAMU better and leave your legacy because we are all legendary.”

###

By Marchita Shilo