Vanessa Campos

Prairie View A&M University alumna Vanessa Campos (Vanessa Melendez) was recently featured on her company’s social media page for ‘Women in Construction Week.’

“I started working at Hensel Phelps shortly after I graduated in 2016,” said Campos. “I love my job! I can honestly say, even if it is mostly men that I work with, I don’t feel left out or out of place. I’m comfortable, and I know my company will help me succeed to achieve my goals in my career.”

Campos is a field engineer at Hensel Phelps, one of the largest general contractors and construction managers in the United States. She earned her bachelor’s degree in Construction Science and Architecture from PVAMU. She also received a master of science in Architecture.

“I feel that I am in great debt with Prairie View A&M University because I was shown more than I ever thought I would be shown at a school. I was shown love and was shown how to love. The experience I had there was something I will never forget,” said Campos. “The best advice I have for current students is to take every chance you have to explore the world. Take school seriously, and do not be scared to ask questions, absorb as much as you can. Getting a good education is one of the most important things you can do in your life. It’s worth every penny.”

###

-This story by Marchita Shilo originally appeared in Academic Insights.