Chamille Haley
Chamille Haley

Hometown:

Roselle, New Jersey

Degree:

Bachelor of Arts in Sociology, Minor in African American Studies

What are your career aspirations?

My career aspirations may sound crazy to many, but I want to dip my hands into everything my degree and future degree will allow. Ultimately, I would like to have my own practice that caters to black men in professional sports fields. I will also one day work with the NFL as a contracted sports psychologist/behavior analyst. This has been my vision and dream for a long time coming, especially after doing extensive research proposals on the topic and being a witness to the social factors that affect black men in sports.

What was your most outstanding achievement while attending PVAMU?

My greatest achievement while attending PV was being selected for the 2019 Reflecting Black Symposium. I was 1 out of 18 students from schools like University of Houston to Cornell University to attend and present my research on Hyper Masculinity.

What does PVAMU have that other universities do not?

PVAMU has a rich history, raw culture, and it’s a genuine family. Also, the history behind being able to vote in Waller County and the battle we fought making HISTORY, marching as millennials for what is right. We will be able to tell our children that we are a part of history and no school has that!

Also, did I mention the MARCHING STORM?!? The Best Band in the Land if you did not know!

What advice do you have for current students?

The advice I would give to current students is to stay the course. As simple as it sounds, I understand it is hard, but let me tell you that the afterward effect is worth it. Take time to recharge yourself, take breaks, and do whatever you have to do to get where you need to be. Put yourself first when it comes to your degree. There is the old Caribbean saying that goes a little like this: “Study ya book cah dem can tek ya book but dem can tek ya education.” It means to study hard because, at the end of the day, they can take away all they want from you, but no matter what you lose, your education is something you can always hold onto.