Desiree DuBois
KiMaja Clay

Hometown:

Houston, Texas

Degree:

Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice 

What does being a first-generation college student mean to you?

To me, being a first-gen college student means that I broke many generational curses placed by hardships on those before me.

Which organizations were you a part of at PVAMU? How did they deepen your college experience?

I was a part of the Criminal Justice Club, S.isters I.mproving S.isterhood, and Alpha Psi Sigma Criminal Justice Honor Society. Being inducted into the Alpha Psi Sigma Criminal Justice Honor society had to be my greatest achievement at PVAMU due to not being able to achieve that goal in high school. Knowing that I genuinely earned my place meant a lot. Also, just being a part of all of these organizations made my experience at PV a very smooth experience.

What are your career goals?

I aspire to work with juveniles who struggle with behavioral problems and struggle being within the school system. After taking the course on juvenile justice, I came to the realization that devious tendencies from one’s childhood can turn into criminal acts. Therefore, the best way to prevent crime is to turn them away from it.

What do you love most about PVAMU?

The culture in place at PVAMU is irresistible and irreplaceable! PVAMU has a sense of fellowship and togetherness that makes it different than other universities, and I can’t forget Catfish Fridays in the MSC!

Do you have any advice for current students?

Be patient and understand that your journey is your journey. Check your path and not others’. Also, treat your education as something you’re passionate about and not a chore, and you’ll enjoy school more.