Master of Education Administration – Master of Science in Education Principal and Superintendent Certification

Application Questions

How do I apply to get into the program?

Master’s Degree Students desiring admission to the graduate programs in the Department of Educational Leadership and must apply for admission to the Office of Graduate Studies; however, does not constitute admission to a master’s degree program in the Department of Educational Leadership and Counseling. In determining an applicant’s eligibility for admission to the Department of Educational Leadership and Counseling, the following are essential:

  • A baccalaureate degree from an institution accredited by a regional accrediting agency equivalent to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools;
  • An overall undergraduate grade point average of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale, or the equivalent;
  • Scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) on file in the Office of Graduate Studies;
  • Proof of two years teaching experience if the student is pursuing the Educational Administration licensure track.

What if I apply and I am not accepted for full admission? What are my options?

Students who fail to meet the criteria for admissions may be placed in a non-degree/special or provisional status. Such students are not entitled to pursue a degree in the Department of Educational Leadership and Counseling until they receive unconditional admission. Students who fail to satisfy the admission GPA minimum may not enroll in more than six (6) semester hours of graduate work in any one semester or full summer term while attempting to attain unconditional status. A student must obtain unconditional admission by the time 12 hours are earned or be dropped from the program.

Students admitted conditionally (non-degree/special or provisional status) when the GPA is less than 2.75 but no less than 2.45 on a 4.0 scale, may attain unconditional status by achieving the following:

  • A 3.0 GPA for the first 12 hours of graduate work, with no more than one “C”;
  • Satisfactory completion (grades of A or B)of ADMN 5003 – Fundamentals of School Administration, and ADMN 5093, Educational Statistics (Administration); and
  • Satisfactory completion (grades of A or B)of CNSL 5123 – Appraisal Techniques, and CNSL 5093, Educational Statistics (Counseling).

Students may apply for conditional admission to graduate study (non-degree/special status) when the GPA is less than 2.45 but a minimum of 2.25. In addition to the general application requirements, supplementary requirements under this category are indicated below:

  • Request and pass a departmental interview, and
  • Make a passing score of 260 on the Reading Section of the TASP Examination (only the Reading Section of the TASP Examination must be taken), and maintain at least a “B” (3.0) average in all coursework.

Students may not enroll in more than six (6) semester hours of graduate work per term and may not enroll in more than 12 semester hours while in this category. Students who have completed a total of 12 semester hours, but who have been unsuccessful in scoring 260 or above on the Reading portion of the TASP Examination, will be dismissed from the program.

What is the deadline for the application to the program?

In order to be considered for admission, both the graduate and departmental applications must be submitted by the deadline provided by the program which is typically mid-way during the spring semester.

Where should I send application materials?

Please deliver or mail all application materials to The Office of Graduate Studies at the following address:

The Office Graduate Studies Prairie View A&M University P.O. Box 519, MS 2800 Prairie View, TX 77446

How long after I have submitted my application and fees will I know if I am accepted?

Your application is initially processed in the Office of Graduate Studies. Once completed it is sent to the department of your choice. You will be notified of the status of your application as soon the information is processed and completed in both departments. Time of completion is based on your completion of the application and sending official documents. Important websites have been provided below.

Graduate Catalog

Texas Common Admission Application http://www.applytexas.org (Students are encouraged to use the Texas Common Application to submit application via Internet)

Graduate School

How many references should I submit? Whom should I ask to provide a reference?

Please provide three letters of reference. References should be individuals whose credentials help establish your potential academically and professionally.

Are GRE scores required and what are the time limits on scores? How can I register to take the GRE?

GRE scores must be within 10 years old at the time of graduation from the program. Information about the test including how to register can be found at http://www.ets.org/gre/.

Can I be admitted at the beginning of any semester during the year?

Presently applications are processed throughout the calendar year. You submit the application during each semester of the year.

What is the difference in a Masters in Education Administration and a Master of Science in Education?

Candidates for the M.Ed. must possess 2 yrs. teaching experience and pursue Principal Certification. Candidates for the M.S. are those who desired to have an educational administrative degree, but do not desire K-12 principal licensure.

Financial Assistance

Can I get financial aid through PVAMU?

Financial aid is processed by the Office of Financial aid located on the third floor of the Memorial Student Center (MSC). Please select the Financial Aid option found in the Quick Links area of www.pvamu.edu.

What is the cost of attending PVAMU each year?

This information can be accessed at www.pvamu.edu. Select Financial Aid from the Quick Links section (upper right hand area). Select Cost of Attendance and the academic year of interest. Scroll down to the Graduate Tuition area. This information will provide the up-to-date cost chart.

I am an International Student. Where can I find information regarding opportunities, options, and assistance?

Please visit the Office of Multicultural Affairs. Information about this office can be found at https://www.pvamu.edu/multiculturalaffairs/

Where on the PVAMU campus can I find the offices for Educational Leadership? What is the mailing address?

The offices can be found on the second floor of the Wilhelmina Delco Building. The mailing address can be found below. Prairie View A&M University PO BOX 519, Mail Stop 2420 Prairie View, TX 77446 Phone: (936) 261-3530

E-Mail: Educational Leadership & Counseling

Matriculation Questions

How can I find out the name of my assigned advisor?

Please go to the Department Website. Select the advisor’s link. Find your advisor’s name which is assigned by the first initial of your last name.

What advising steps should I perform as a new student in the program?

  • At the beginning of the program, you should submit the degree plan form. This form can be found at our departmental website . This form establishes the course of study you will pursue. The required courses for the respective degrees can be found here.
  • The candidacy form is the second form you will complete as you matriculate through the program. You will want to ensure you have completed the degree plan form (as a new student) and the candidacy form after successful completion of 12 hours of classes. This form can be found on the forms page.
  • You should submit the typed degree forms in person, via mail, or via email. If submitting the forms via email, they must be signed and submitted as a scan in PDF format. Degree plan must be approved and signed by the advisor.

How can I register for classes? What is the process during the registration period?

To access the registration system, please go to www.pvamu.edu. You can select the student portal link from the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

  1. Select the link for registration. This link will allow you to access the system for registration or search for classes. You will be provided ~eight options.
  2. If you need help with Panthertracks in terms of learning how to update information, and register, please go to the student portal website and select help. This site will have step-by-step instruction and visuals to assist you with each process. You can also learn how to login for the first time.
  3. New students must have alt. pin number in order to register. This information can be retrieved by contacting the departmental secretaries.

When and at what stage should I apply for graduation?

You should complete the application for graduation form by the deadline of the prior semester before the semester in which you will graduate. The graduation forms can be found online at.

What if I am currently a student and will be graduating the semester of the application deadline?

The application must be submitted (by the deadline) the semester prior to the expected graduating semester. Please refer to the university calendar for important dates.

Program and Course Delivery

When are the classes offered? Where are the classes offered?

Classes are offered in the evenings (5:30-8:20 p.m.) and Saturdays (8:00-10:50 a.m., 11:00 a.m. – 1:50 p.m., and 2:00 – 4:50 p.m.). Classes are offered on the Main Campus, Northwest Graduate Center, and online.

Are courses offered online?

Yes. These courses will have the coding of Z next to the course number in the Panther Tracks system. The Panther Tracks system can be accessed at www.pvamu.edu in the upper right hand corner.

How many credits can be transferred? What documents are required?

You can transfer up to six hours if approved. You should submit an Official Transcript, copies of the catalog description from the university, and the transfer credit form (obtained from your academic advisor).

What GPA is required to remain in the program?

Students must maintain a 3.00 GPA. Students may only receive two grades of C in the program. Grades of C in courses may not be used towards certification. If course is taken again the last grade is the final grade.

I want to be certified as an administrator. Does the program prepare me for certification?

Yes, each course in the Master of Education degree plan route can be used towards the application for certification. Additionally, the candidate must take and successfully complete TExES #68 Principal exam. Certain courses will go more in-depth as it relates to the exam such as Special Topics. The Principal Internship is in addition to your Master’s degree and is required for you to become certified. You will also need two years of teaching experience and successfully pass the Principal exam with a score of at least 240. You have to take a minimum of 12 Core hours before receiving approval to the Principal 68 Exam if you are on a probationary administrative certificate.

Do I need a Masters degree if I want to become a certified principal?

Yes, the state of Texas requires administrative applicants hold a master’s degree. This information is provided by the Texas Education Agency at http://www.tea.state.tx.us/index2.aspx?id=5740 .

How long does it take to complete the Masters degree?

A total of 36 hours are required for the Masters degree. This will be dependent upon the number of hours taken and credit hours received per semester. If candidates desire to complete the program in a year and one semester, you must take at least nine hours each of the four semesters.

I am interested in pursuing a Ph. D. at Prairie View A& M University. What doctoral programs does the College of Education offer? What is required?

We offer a Ph. D. in Educational Leadership. Please visit the Ph. D. program website.

Certification Information

What are the requirements for principal certification in Texas? What are the requirements for superintendency certification in Texas?

Candidates seeking principal certification in Texas must have two years teaching experience (as required by the state of Texas), complete the required courses mid-management internship, and make a passing score of least 240 on the TExES Principal Exam # 68. The course information can be found here. For more information about the state’s policies for certification, please visit the State Board for Education Certification’s Principal Certificate Requirement Process website at http://www.tea.state.tx.us/index2.aspx?id=5740.

Candidates seeking superintendent certification must hold a principal certification, be a certified teacher, have two years teaching experience, complete required courses, complete the principal internship, and make a passing score of least 240 on the TExES Superintendent Exam # 64. There are five required courses candidates must take at the Master’s level for superintendent certification are as follows:

ADMN 5013: Theory, Practice & Research ADMN 5063: Problems in Education Administration ADMN 5113: Planning & Managing Education Facilities ADMN 5123: School Finance ADMN 5513: Superintendency Internship

How can I participate in practice sessions to prepare for the TExES #68 Principal’s Exam?

Information about the practice review and test preparation sessions can be found at the departmental webpage. Please select the TExES link found in the left-hand menu of the screen.

Contact Information Department of Educational Leadership and Counseling Prairie View A&M University P.O. Box 519, Mail Stop 2420 Prairie View, TX 77446 Phone: (936) 261-3530 Fax: (936) 261-3617

E-Mail: Educational Leadership & Counseling

Thanks for visiting our site. The information provided in this FAQ was updated Summer 2013.

Can we help you find what you’re looking for?