PRAIRIE VIEW, Texas – The Prairie View A&M University College of Nursing faculty calls soon-to-be new graduate Justin Morrow “the epitome of a successful student.” His response is the epitome of grace: “I know I couldn’t have done it without God. I feel honored that the faculty described me as such, but I could not have become the student I am today without their guidance. They fueled my success and encouraged me to continue improving,” he said.

Justin Morrow

Morrow says he chose PVAMU because the College of Nursing was ranked among the top nursing schools in the country. “I love how challenging the nursing program is. It makes you go to depths you didn’t think were possible and will prepare you to save lives and change lives. I also wanted to be surrounded by like-minded people and a culture as strong as PVAMU’s. PVAMU has a family, community, and culture that transcends other universities. Everyone here wants to uplift you and see you succeed,” Morrow said.

The Shreveport, Louisiana, native is set to begin his professional nursing career at Houston Methodist on a medical-surgical unit. And that is truly just the beginning of Morrow’s plans. Not only is he determined to excel as a nurse, but he also wants to positively impact the patient experience, inspire others, and help shape future generations of nurses as a nurse educator.

“I am most excited about learning new skills and being able to help others through compassion and quality care. I want to be a pillar for minorities to feel comfortable in their care and inspire other nursing students,” he said. “I take joy in knowing that the care I provide can help a person get through possibly the most challenging time in their life. I can make a massive impact since I can relate to the patients, as I am a minority and have been hospitalized multiple times. I want to advocate for those who feel like they don’t have a voice and encourage other nursing students to achieve the success they dreamed of, just as my professors inspired me.”

Morrow’s role as lead counselor for the Nursing Summer Bridge Program helped shape his goals. “My Summer Bridge internship helped me give back and learn more about educating others. I found a passion for educating others, and that’s pushing me to become a nurse educator in the near future,” he said.

Morrow has demonstrated his leadership and mentorship focus during his time at PVAMU. This semester, he was invited to represent the PVAMU College of Nursing at the National League for Nursing Education Summit as a part of the NLN/Johnson & Johnson Project: Transitioning Senior Nursing Students in Historically Black Colleges and Universities Schools of Nursing into Clinical Practice.

He served as class president and founded the Prairie View Nursing Mentorship Organization. He also served as a CON Peer-Assisted Learner (PAL or peer tutor). He is a member of Sigma Theta Tau International Honors Society and Chi Eta Phi Nursing Sorority, Inc. And he was crowned Mr. College of Nursing.

“My greatest achievement at PVAMU was helping to create PVNMO, a nursing mentoring organization that I hope will help many on their path through nursing school and even in their post-grad careers. I wanted to leave a mark on the school, and with this program, I have successfully accomplished that goal,” he said.

Justin Morrow graduates from Prairie View A&M University this fall with a Bachelor of Science in Nursing. Click here to view more of this semester’s notable graduates.

By Kelly Rusk

-PVAMU-