When we hear of students signing up for military service we don’t often think of musicians. Every arm of the military enlists musicians who represent the United States in various capacities at events, formal meetings with dignitaries, and many other occasions. Former Marching Storm members have been selected for the various military bands. Phillip Smith, a trumpet player from Virginia, is one. Phillip transferred to Prairie View from Norfolk State University in 2012 when Dr. Zachery arrived. Always a standout trumpet player, he quickly took on the role of section leader of the Trumpet section and later auditioned for the Army Band after graduation. Phillip Smith is currently a Staff Sergeant in the 82nd Airborne Division Band and Chorus. He serves as the Brass Quintet leader, Drum major, Squad leader and Supply and logistics NCO.

How did you come to be a student at PV? I was given the opportunity by Dr. Timmy Zachery. I remember him leaving the Hampton Roads area of Virginia in 2012, and I asked if I could could with him at Prairie View A&M University. He said yes, and ever since then that choice has changed my life.

What was the best part about being in the Marching Storm and working with Dr. Zachery?  The best part was the camaraderie in the trumpet section/studio. I wasn’t always the best in academia, but the majority of the trumpet studio was.  It was a bit intimidating, because everyone in the studio was competitive. When my parents first met Dr. Zachery, he stated to them that that I was going to graduate from college. At that time I didn’t believe that. I just thought that I was going to college to have a good time. Little did I know, Dr. Zachery would be fully invested in my future, which began my journey with music and believing in myself.

How did PV’s Department of Music prepare you for your audition with the Army Band? I remember every day Dr. Zack would make us sight read marches. I didn’t understand why, I just knew that sight-reading was one of my weaknesses, which is humbling if you think about it. Imagine working on something that you’re not good at every day. The department was always challenging me from the piano proficiency, theory, sight singing. With all these things combined, I was able to use the skills for my audition for the Army.

What has been some of your biggest accomplishments while with the Army Band? In 2021 I was a soloist at the Virginia International Tattoo. At that time I was a member of the Training and Doctrine Command Band. The show was about World War II/ The Greatest Generation and featured themes from Glenn Miller “It’s been a long time”. I was honored to solo in front of over 20,000 people. At that time there was a  pandemic and people were just getting out of their houses and getting back to normal life. Usually the Virginia International Tattoo is at the Norfolk Scope, but that year they made it outdoors at Old Dominion University, ensuring that people could still enjoy music. It was an awesome feeling to share music during the pandemic, and what better way to do it through military music, showing that the Armed Forces has the American people’s back during those tough times.

What would you tell students considering the Army or any military bands as a career option? I would say go for it! It’s an awesome opportunity to play music and get paid for it. The Army is offering student loan repayment up to $65,000. The army has afforded me an opportunity to not only take care of myself, but to take care of my family, and I’m grateful for it. Specifically, I would say members of HBCUs should definitely go for it because the same militaristic style seen in many of our HBCU bands is also used in Army bands/ Military bands.