Interlibrary Loan Policies
Books and articles not owned by the John B. Coleman Library and not available to us via online resources may be borrowed from other libraries upon request. A separate ILL form must be submitted for each item requested. Request forms are available at the Circulation counter in the Library. You may now use the Web-based forms above, also. Please note that the forms must be filled out as completely as possible. If you aren’t sure whether we own the item that you need, please check the PVAMU Library Catalog for your book or E-Journal Portal for journal titles.
Please read the following policies prior to placing your loan request!
Lost Books – The full price and the processing fee if any will be charged for any lost book or item loaned from other universities or institutions. The fees are determined by the lending institution, not by the John B. Coleman Library. Each lost item will be reviewed by case by case.
- Each lending library establishes its loan period, conditions for use of materials (e.g.. “library use only”, “no renewals”), and loan and/or copying fees. Students, faculty and staff of Prairie View must abide by these policies even though they may differ from our own Library’s policies.
- Most items will be obtained at no charge, but occasional fees arise. The borrower must indicate the maximum they are willing to pay when submitting the request. We always try to obtain materials free of charge if possible. If there is a fee associated with your request (up to the amount indicated on the request form), the charges will be automatically added to your account with the Business Office. Other arrangements may be made by contacting the Interlibrary Loan Coordinator. Faculty and staff must pay the fees before the material is received.
- The borrower is also responsible for any overdue charges or other expenses incurred.
- As a courtesy, one overdue notice on an ILL item is sent. No new items may be picked up until overdue items are returned.
- Materials requested through Interlibrary Loan may be picked up at the Circulation Counter using a valid PVAMU ID card. Some photocopies without charges will be sent to faculty and staff members via the campus mail. Photocopies need not be returned to the library.
- Other materials should be returned directly to the Circulation Counter. Please do not place ILL items in the book drops.
- Items may be sent at the Northwest Houston Center and the College of Nursing (your pick-up location needs to have Northwest Houston Center or College of Nursing noted as such)
- Item may be returned to the Northwest Houston Center or the College of Nursing – request a receipt from the Librarian on duty.
- Returned items may be mailed to the Coleman Library at: Interlibrary Loan Dept., P.O. Box 519, MS 1040, Prairie View, Texas 77446. DO NOT mail the item back to the library where the library the item was requested from.
- Text books can not be ordered through ILL. Text books requests will be cancelled.
- Items own by the John B. Coleman Library can not be ordered through ILL and will be cancelled if requested.
Library patrons are expected to abide by the regulations of Copyright Law of the United States
(Title 17, United States Code)
The Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies, scanned images or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, a library is authorized to allow photocopying, scanning or other reproduction on the premises. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy, scanned image or other reproduction is not to be “used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research.” If a user makes a photocopy, scan image or other reproductions for purposes in excess of “Fair Use,” that user may be liable for copyright infringement.
This institution reserves the right to prohibit or restrict copying if, in its judgment, copying would involve violation of copyright law.