Olivia Murphy
Olivia Murphy

Graduating senior reflects on seizing opportunities at PVAMU

Olivia Murphy may be celebrating graduating this month, but her time at Prairie View A&M University (PVAMU) isn’t over yet. After earning her bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, she’ll be returning this fall to work toward a Master of Science in Engineering.

Pursuing a career in sustainability, Murphy says she is grateful to all the college faculty who provided research opportunities that allowed her to discover her fields of interest.

“I am especially interested in alternative energy and plan to work in the field of offshore energy, specifically offshore wind and wave turbine design,” she said.

While Murphy only attended PVAMU for two years after transferring in fall 2018, she quickly immersed herself within the university through a variety of roles and organizations. She served as a researcher for the Center for Energy and Environmental Sustainability (CEES) and the Department of Mechanical Engineering, and was a member of Pi Tau Sigma, an international mechanical engineering honor society, Tau Beta Pi, an engineering honor society, and the Society of Underwater Technology.

“Transferring to PVAMU was the best decision I’ve made regarding my academic career to date,” she said. “I love the people here. I have never encountered such an uplifting academic environment, and I believe that everyone is truly invested in student success.”

Throughout her undergraduate journey, Murphy gained a variety of internship experience. She interned at the Roy G. Perry College of Engineering and Chevron, and she gained co-op experience with a marine terminal company.

“My internships helped me develop the professional skills and leadership abilities required to successfully navigate a challenging career field, which, unfortunately, still contains many spaces where people who look like me are underrepresented,” she said.

During her time at PVAMU, Murphy’s greatest academic achievement was publishing her first abstract as a result of the 14th Annual Research Symposium, an opportunity for students to present their work, learn from peers, and receive feedback from faculty.

Murphy says her experience at PVAMU has had a tremendous impact on her – an impact she will reflect upon in awe for years to come.

“PVAMU has helped me in more ways than I count,” she said. “It has provided me with wonderful career development opportunities, such as interview preparation and securing trips to conferences, in which I was able to network with companies and engineers from all over the world.”

As Murphy leaves undergraduate life behind, she shares her advice for current students. “Always operate with integrity, and always do your best,” she said. “Remember that your decisions impact those who care about you.”

###
By Kendall Hebert