Michelle Johnson
Michelle Johnson

Houston Native to Use PVAMU Degree to Improve Minority Neighborhoods

Michelle Johnson is a Prairie View A&M University student who will earn a master’s degree in community development this fall. The Houston native aspires to one day create retail shopping centers in underserved, minority neighborhoods.

“[It’s because] these businesses serve as economic drivers and are critical to the future success of black communities,” said Johnson.

Johnson, who is an Army veteran, is no stranger to the business. She’s been an award-winning commercial real estate agent for more than ten years.

“I’ve closed over $30 million in real estate properties and negotiated thousands of deals,” she said. “Post-graduation, I plan to continue my career with George E. Johnson Properties, a full-service real estate firm specializing in commercial and residential brokerage services.”

Johnson earned a bachelor’s degree in psychology from Northwestern State University and a master’s of business administration from the University of Phoenix. She said the quality of the community development program at PVAMU’s School of Architecture is what helped her choose “The Hill” for her second master’s degree in community development.

“The professors and staff at PV care about their students, both inside and outside the classroom,” said Johnson. “In addition, the small class sizes, resources, and student programming are top-notch. PV has ultimately given me the tools to expand my career.”

And she has her late grandmother to thank for leading the way.

“I am not a first-generation college student. However, my grandmother raised 12 children while attending college, graduated, and retired as a registered nurse. She, Josephine, is my motivation! Because she did, I can!” said Johnson.

###

By Marchita Shilo