Soleil SipesPRAIRIE VIEW, Texas – Prairie View A&M University checked all the boxes for fall 2022 architecture graduate Soleil Sipes, who attended the University with a full scholarship in music.

Four years later, Sipes said choosing PVAMU is still one of the best decisions she has ever made. On December 10, 2022, she will stand poised and ready to take on the world with the foundation she earned on “The Hill.”

“Prairie View A&M University has the true ability to Produce Productive People.” Sipes continued, “This institution has granted me so many opportunities and resources that have prepared me for nothing but success.”

Sipes credits the support of the faculty for her success. “There’s a constant effort to help all aspiring students really push towards their ambitions,” Sipes said. “The faculty members are so amazing, and we are so lucky to have such a talented and intelligent panel of teachers who are passionate about students’ growth in design. If it weren’t for my teachers, I would not be the woman I am today.”

Reaching out to faculty is one of Sipes’ tips for success. Other tips include getting involved in clubs and organizations and putting yourself out there to meet new people. As a student, Sipes got involved in organizations that touched her interests in music and architecture. She played with the “best band in the land,” the Marching Storm. She was also a member of the American Institute of Architecture Students and the National Organization of Minority Students. She also helped revitalize Women in Architecture. Being in these organizations allowed Sipes to appreciate the diversity of the student population, embrace the culture of PVAMU, and experience the essence of being a Panther.

Her participation with AIA helped Sipes professionally with an internship at the organization’s headquarters in Washington, D.C., where she worked on a special renovation project. “AIA is the leading professional organization for architects and design professionals with over 94,000 members. I am very blessed to have received such an amazing opportunity, as I was referred by my deans and faculty. AIA has not only prepared my mind mentally for my architectural career but has connected me with wonderful people with whom I have created strong ongoing bonds,” said Sipes.

The relationships formed paved the way for unforgettable memories and experiences. The ones she holds close to her heart are being hand-selected by faculty members to serve as Miss Architecture this year. As a result of her selection, she was able to serve as the voice and advocate for the students.

“I made it my mission to go above and beyond what was expected of me. I thrived off helping others, and I wanted to give others the opportunities that I didn’t have in my lower studio years,” said Sipes.

In the future, Sipes is looking forward to beginning her professional architect career, meeting new people, traveling, being a constant student of the world, and just doing things she loves.

Prairie View A&M was everything Sipes wanted and needed, and she couldn’t be happier with her choice.

“Prairie View, thank you for the experience of a lifetime.”

Click here to view a complete listing of this semester’s notable graduates.

By Jo-Carolyn Goode

-PVAMU-