PRAIRIE VIEW, Texas (September 18, 2020) – Each year, major cities in the U.S. become increasingly expensive to live in for a number of reasons – market changes, inflation, and the cost of property maintenance, to name a few. Unfortunately, researchers say this overall trend does not favor minority residents.

Tiffany D. Thomas

Tiffany D. Thomas

According to the Center for American Progress, “significant disparities still exist between African Americans and non-Hispanic whites in terms of access to homeownership.” And, with the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, this situation is only expected to get worse. COVID-19 has disproportionately affected racial and ethnic minority groups, with high rates of death in Black, Native American, and LatinX communities.

That’s why Tiffany D. Thomas, program coordinator and assistant professor of community development in Prairie View A&M University’s (PVAMU) School of Architecture, has launched a new series called “Black Mayors, Black Communities, and the Fight for Affordable Housing.” The series invites current and former mayors of several major cities in the U.S. to talk with PVAMU students and faculty about housing problems and the best ways to move forward.

“These cities are models for economic growth but are rarely referenced regarding their housing challenges,” said Thomas, who teaches Introduction to Community Development, Community Research, Community Development Politics, Cultural Heritage and Preservation, and Grant Writing at PVAMU. “Most of these cities have community development initiatives to support revitalization, affordable housing, rehabilitation after natural disasters, and more. I want to provide a space for honest discussion. I want our students to ask about the commitment these mayors are making or have made to affordable housing in Black communities – the good, bad, and the ugly. Also, I want students to have a grasp on the power of implementing policies that create equity in various forms.”

Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner

Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner

Thomas understands firsthand the implications of housing policies. She represents Houston City Council’s District F, which makes up portions of Alief, Eldridge/West Oaks, Mid-West, and Westchase. She is also chair of the city’s Housing and Community Affairs Committee.

“I thought it would be a great idea to align student learning outcomes and real-time situations happening in the larger context,” she said. “Students in my Community Development Politics class are investigating major cities with Black-elected leadership and their affordable housing policies to include Detroit, St. Louis, New Orleans, Houston, and Chicago. I figured this was the best time to leverage my political network for the enhancement and learning of our students.”

With the upcoming election, Thomas says the time is now to talk about community development policies, especially in poor and working-class neighborhoods.

“Policies, such as evictions, rent control, federally backed housing, and other models are in question, and many people don’t know the difference or where to start,” she said. “Also, we are amid a presidential election [season] where candidates are discussing federal housing. Students need to understand how this impacts their local communities, and COVID-19 adds an extra layer for us to unpack.”

So far, Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner has signed up to speak in the series on September 21. Former Mayor of New Orleans Marc H. Morial will talk on October 19.

Mark Morial

Former New Orleans Mayor Marc H. Morial

“I am fortunate to have a network of incredible individuals my students can learn from. If I am able to elevate student learning through my access, I will do so. There have been many people along the way that offered me similar opportunities, and I am just paying it forward,” she said. “Hopefully, this is not the only meaningful discussion our program can produce for our students and campus. I would like to identify a philanthropic partner to underwrite the lecture series in the community development program to support [future] discussions with leaders in housing across the U.S. Housing is a critical component of community development and an indicator of strong, vibrant communities. If we do not understand how housing fits within the fabric of our communities, we miss an opportunity to right the wrongs of bad policies impacting Black Americans.”

Click here to register for “Black Mayors, Black Communities, and the Fight for Affordable Housing.”

###