PVAMU offers a wide variety of developmental training to build job skills for the role you have and to foster the career we hope you develop. Explore many opportunities – classes and workshops, customized training and management development.
Training Classes and Workshops
Check out our training calendar and enroll on line.
Improve your departmental operations by working with our training Specialist to design tailored solutions ranging from workgroup assessments to intervention strategies, including strategic planning and customized training.
Employee Development Training
Explore the Employee Development Training section including access to trainings and workshops
Supervisor/ Manager Development Series:
The Supervisor’s Series
The Supervisor’s Series currently consists of 5 training modules containing important information that supervisors should know within their first weeks of employment as a PVAMU supervisor. Looking for training for new Supervisors? What about a refresher course for an existing Supervisor?
Check the Business Affairs Training calendar for dates. For more information or to reserve a seat, contact: LaDonna Harris – Training Specialist at firstname.lastname@example.org or 936-261-1724
The 5 training modules:
Successful Hiring Practices for Supervisors – Effective hiring strategies are essential to all employers – small and large, urban and rural. Finding the best candidate for the job is a challenge. This training will explore the following areas of the Hiring Process including: Access/ Log – in to PV PAWS, Updating and Filling a Position, the hiring of a new employee, EEOC hiring steps/ conducting effective interviews, on-boarding for the new or returning Employees.
Effective Team Communication – Effective communication is important to insure that a project or task is done right and on time. Communication helps employees understand one another and what needs to be done. Without communication you would have no team, and without a team you would have no organization! Communication is essential for understanding one another. This training will explore the following areas: your communication style, characteristics of open communication, guidelines to for team communication, responsibilities of team members and getting your message across.
Handling Employee Conflict – Employee Conflict can be detrimental to your department’s morale and business results. Having the skills to resolve conflict effectively at work is one of the biggest challenges in today’s business world and is vital to success. The ability to deal with people is even more important today with the pressures of our fast-paced environments. Being able to handle conflict in a productive way is frequently considered to be as one of the most challenging skills for people. This training will provide you with practical strategies in resolving interpersonal conflicts at the workplace, and helps you change your attitude and behavior so you can minimize conflicts or eliminate them altogether.
Awesome Customer Service – This Customer Service training highlights why importance of good customer service cannot be underestimated in today’s competitive world. It helps you to identify who your customers are, and discusses the various skills that have to be combined to deliver outstanding customer service.
The Successful Exiting of your Employees – Employees leave your organization for good and bad reasons. Your employee has resigned – Now what steps do you take? In this module you will gain the road map to guide you on employment termination to help the employee exit process go smoothly.
Managers and future Managers can improve their effectiveness in current roles and prepare for career growth.
Training and Development Directory
Do you have a question related to training but don’t know which to ask? Click here and get connected to the person who can best answer your questions regarding Training and Development.
Customized Training Sessions
- Customer Service: This 2-hour module will provide the participant the opportunity to identify the importance of customer service; it defines who the customer is and the skills necessary to handle an irate customer.
- Effective Communication: In this 2-hour module, we will explore the different ways we communicate with each other, the barriers to effective communication and strategies to improve communication skills.
- Team Building: There is nothing more frustrating than trying to work in an environment where everyone is working off their own agenda. This 2-hour module will give you the fundamental skills to begin to organize your department into focused and well organized team.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making: In this 2 hour module, the participants will be able to identify the steps of problem solving; use of the analytical techniques in each step to improve the communication skills that play a vital role in each step, and apply the system to real-life problems as they occur in the future.
- Conflict Resolution: This 2 hour-module will allow the participants to identify how their perception of issues will affect their response to conflict in the workplace. The participants will be able to list productive and destructive responses and determine constructive approaches to be used in the workplace.
- Establishing a Work-Life Balance: Determining what is really important in one’s life is a cause of great stress. This 1-hour module presented by the University of Texas Employee Assistance Program (UTEAP) will present strategies to help the participants establish a work-life balance.
- Stress Management: This 1-hour module presented by the University of Texas Employee Assistance Program (UTEAP), provides insight into the causes of stress and strategies to deal with stress in the workplace.
Mandatory Online Training
Texas A&M University (TAMU) offers online training opportunities for all employees. Online training for non-exempt employees must be completed at their workstation during their normal work day. The training site can be accessed through Single Sign-On.
Employees may choose at their discretion which session(s) to attend. The calendar of available courses can be viewed here.
- Deadline: Notification must be sent one week prior to each session.
- Confirmation: Employees will receive a confirmation email for each session. The confirmation email will note the session, time and date of the session.
- Cancellation: If an employee cannot attend a session, he/she should inform the trainer at least 24 hours prior to the start of the session.
- Training and Tutorials
- Training Calendar
Prairie View A&M University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities. Ms. Alexia Taylor, Title IX Coordinator, has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies.
Ms. Taylor can be reached at P.O. Box 519; MS 1100 A.I Thomas Bldg. Suite 102 Prairie View, Texas 77446 or by calling 936-261-2123.
For further information on notice of non-discrimination, visithttp://wdcrobcolp01.ed.gov/CFAPPS/OCR/contactus.cfm for the address and phone number of the office that serves your area, or call 1-800-421-3481.
Was this information helpful? Provide Feedback or report broken links.