PRAIRIE VIEW, Texas (Oct. 5, 2023) – Nationwide, various factors, from increasing school violence to low salaries in the face of rising inflation, are fueling teacher shortages. But there are those who still love to teach and believe in the profession.

Brooke Jeffery '18

Brooke Jeffery ’18

On October 5, Prairie View A&M University celebrates World Teachers’ Day with 2018 PVAMU graduate Brooke Jeffery, who teaches sixth grade social sciences and English Language Arts (ELA) at YES Prep Northwest Secondary in Houston. Held annually on October 5, World Teachers’ Day has been observed since 1994 to celebrate teachers around the world.

For Jeffery, the day gives her hope, and she still has faith – both in the teaching profession and in God. “Jesus is my superpower,” she says. “It is through Christ and showing up in his image that I can do the work that I do with patience, gentleness, meekness, and in love. Those things are needed when working with both children and adults.”

This year, Jeffery became Grade Level Chair for sixth grade, managing staff and students. She is also a Teacher Champion on her campus, serving as a trusted adult for many students. “I love teaching,” she says. She also loves building relationships with students and their families and takes pride in attending all their events and activities. “Of course, there are days that make you question if this is it, but seeing the power of my influence on young minds keeps me going.”

studentThe PVAMU alumna especially appreciates Historically Black Colleges and Universities. “At HBCUs, professors feel like family,” she says. “They push you and challenge you to heights you didn’t know you could reach.” Five years after graduation, she still remembers the PVAMU professors who impacted her teaching career: Drs. Sonia K. Boone, Selena D. Tate, Michael Nojeim, Billy Monroe, Nathan Mitchell, Walle Engedayehu, and the late Dr. Beverly Johnson. “I remember having teachers whom I grew to love and still keep in contact with to this day,” she says. “Those relationships were 50% of my success.”

But Jeffery also acknowledges the challenges facing teachers today: “Teachers are the most overworked, underpaid group of individuals I know. Unfortunately, this is not a job that you just clock in and clock out; it’s a total investment.” Jeffery adds that “doughnuts and pizza in the lounge” won’t cut it. “I believe the state of teaching will get better when we are provided the resources we need with the financial compensation to back it up.”

In its latest analysis, UNESCO estimates the global teacher shortage at 44 million, largely due to what it calls “unattractiveness” of the profession. “Teachers play a vital role in our societies, yet this profession is facing a major vocations crisis,” UNESCO Director-General Audrey Azoulay said in a press release ahead of World Teachers’ Day. “We must better value, better train, and better support teachers.”

Jeffery agrees the need is great. “Teaching is hard and, unfortunately, because our kids are so behind, the demand is great.”

One idea Jeffery has is to address it at the policy level: more minority representation in the legislative process to speak up for marginalized communities.

“Education is an interesting field to be in right now,” she says. That is why she says it is “imperative” to “truly take time to fill your cup after pouring out to others all day.”

Still, the profession is not for everyone. “I always say that teaching is not something you should do if you’re not passionate,” Jeffery says. “Teachers are needed now more than ever: Individuals who are truly dedicated to seeing student growth and pushing them beyond all limitations.”

That is what drives Jeffery every weekday morning: her students’ success. She remembers a student from her first year of teaching who had been struggling academically and acting out. She worked closely with the student for a year, and on the last day of school, the student affirmed the impact Jeffery made just by being there, patient, and willing to understand.

Also, being “very data-driven,” Jeffery looks forward to the State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness at the end of the school year. “I’m looking forward to seeing my kids’ progress.”

The social sciences teacher’s best advice for her students is to read. “Please! Get in a book, stimulate your mind, and challenge your way of thinking,” she urges. “Success is not always easy to obtain, but it’s truly you against you.”

By Christine Won

-PVAMU-