PRAIRIE VIEW, Texas (May 3, 2022) – Prairie View A&M University Alumnus John-Patrick Egbo ‘19 carries into the classroom at Holub Middle School the grace of God and a bit of groove to keep his students engaged, learning and diligent in their roles as positive contributors to society. And all this comes from a former, self-proclaimed classroom cutup.

John-Patrick Egbo ‘19

“I wanted to become an educator to give my students everything that I ever wanted in a teacher growing up,” said Egbo, an Alief I.S.D. eighth-grade science teacher in his third year. “I was that class clown in the gifted and talented classes, so it was always a struggle proving to my teachers that I meant no harm. I was just bored with the school system.”

Egbo said he saw promise in the programs, and even at an early age, he realized the potential and impact teachers could have in the classroom on young students.

“Instead of wishing for a change, I wanted to become the change,” he said.

The Power of Voice  

At PVAMU, Egbo found his place in the Whitlowe R. Green College of Education, where learners are shaped into educators, and individual talents blossom into creative classroom methodology deliveries that excite and inspire.

Housed in the Wilhelmina F. Delco Building, the College of Education has produced some of the nation’s most distinguished teachers, counselors, principals, diagnosticians and superintendents, according to the website. Egbo felt at home in the college on day one.

The department of education changed my life from the very first day I walked into Delco,” said Egbo. “It was very empowering to hear various grown people tell me, ‘You are needed here.’ Coming from a childhood of begging for attention and the limelight, to hear someone say they need me was all it took.”

Egbo said he left his pursuit for a lucrative job in engineering to follow his heart on the path to a career as an educator, with several professors serving as mentors along the way.

“Dr. [Carmelita] Thompson took me in as more than just a student,” said Egbo, “she realized my potential before I did. The late Beverly Roberts did everything in her power to ensure that I was not lost by the wayside. I could cry right now thinking back on the different ways she went out of her way for my classmates and I. May her soul rest in perfect peace. I vow to spread that same light and love that Mrs. Roberts instilled in me. God bless her soul. She was an angel on Earth and is still watching over me till this day.”

The Power of Faith

When asked about a guiding principle and thoughts he would like to share with others, Egbo points to his faith in God, along with the Bible verse Matthew 11:38: “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.”

“No single person could’ve influenced me, but I saw God’s grace and light in several people, including my parents,” said Egbo. “It made me want to share that same light and grace across the globe.”

Egbo says that it is through God’s grace that he has been able to achieve so much and help so many people, organizing a new shoe drive during the pandemic, coaching boys’ and girls’ sports, and helping in the “Gents” after-school program, an effort designed to help young boys become respectable men of the community.

“If you let your creativity and imagination die, you give up one of the best benefits of being a human being,” said Egbo. “You are a genius with a certain superpower whether you have realized it yet or not. Don’t let the toughness of the world make you soft. Hold on to God.”

Leaning on biblical wisdom, Egbo echoes the teachings on the taming of the tongue, sharing that words can harm or heal, hurt or help.

“There’s life or death in the power of your tongue,” Egbo said. “Choose wisely. Be a healthy and positive impact—your future depends on it.”

On Rap, Rhyme and Retention

While struggling during his first year as a PVAMU student, juggling the distractions and responsibilities vying for his attention, Egbo said he looked back to his early elementary school years for inspiration.

“We learned everything through music and rhymes,” said Egbo. “So, as I was drafting my educational philosophy in Dr. C. Thompson’s class, music was the foundation of my pedagogy. I didn’t know how at the time, but once I got in a classroom of my own, I understood how important it was for me to figure a way to reach this generation through music.”

Through music and original scores, Egbo shares his love of science with his students while at the same time teaching them difficult theories and facts that would typically take students much longer to commit to memory. His “science songs” have become mental music to the ears of his students.

“Today, my students sing the science songs I’ve created to help them remember formulas like, ‘Speed equals distance over time,’” said Egbo, “or science facts like, ‘The weather changes every time. It’s not the climate; the climate keeps a vibe.’

“My goal is to be the one voice someone may need to hear at a pivotal moment in their lives, using lyrics that speak to the youth, showing them value in more than money and fame. My goal is to be authentic and a global vessel for God’s grace, light and love.”

Egbo on Demand

Implementing rap into lesson plans may keep it real in the classroom and improve retention, but Egbo’s musical talent extends onto the streets as well. He has recorded two albums under the stage name JohnyyP. JohnyyLovve Must Die and A Leaf on Fire, and two other albums under the name John-Patrick, Adolessons and Tired of Money—all of which are available through live streaming platforms, such as Spotify.

John-Patrick Egbo ‘19

However, Egbo’s dreams go well beyond the recording studio and traditional classroom setting. He still looks to become that change he sought as a kid in the gifted and talented program.

“Next, we create a new school system, better and more efficient than ever,” said Egbo. “The current school system mirrors the prison system in America far too much for my liking.”

“We will create schools where students who have felt suppressed for years will finally be able to express themselves free of judgment and grow academically, physically and spiritually,” Egbo continued.
We will continue spreading the truth through music, film and social media.”

By Kerry Laird

-PVAMU-