December 16 – A Prairie View A&M University College of Agriculture and Human Sciences graduate student, Debrecia Robinson, has made history, well before her career takes off. Robinson is President-elect of the Texas Student Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (TSAMFT).

This distinction carries prestige, and much more, according to CAHS Assistant Professor and Human Sciences Graduate Program Coordinator Selena D. Tate, Ph.D. Tate says Robinson’s accomplishment comes as no surprise.

“She is a strong leader, exudes professionalism, and has a dedication to the counseling profession.” More importantly, “Debrecia is the first graduate student from an HBCU to serve as president for the Texas Student Association for Marriage and Family Therapy [TSAMFT],” Tate added.

Robinson will officially take the reins in February, and she’s already making plans. “When I take over as President, I will create workshops for students and help to improve diversity,” she said.

For Robinson, one of the most crucial issues she wants to address as the new TSAMFT President involves helping to dispel the negative connotation many African Americans have as it relates to mental illness and seeking therapy. Robinson said in her new role, she wants to make a difference.

“I hope that my appointment will lead to more diversity. I am very excited about the future and the fact that I will be able to network with other professionals to help push bills to promote mental illness awareness,” Robinson said.

Robinson also wants to provide additional funding for scholarships so that students can attend the student board meeting. “Since they elected a newbie like me, this may encourage others to try and make a difference in the industry,” she said.

Robinson’s one-year term takes effect in February 2020.

Tucker Wilson

Tucker Wilson
Media & Publications Coordinator
tuwilson@pvamu.edu
(936)261-5116