HUNTSVILLE, Texas – Providing future agriculture professionals the opportunity to see what is possible in the realm of the industry is one of the main reasons why Ernie and Floretta Collins, Prairie View A&M University (PVAMU) alums and owners of Red Hill Ranch, opened their doors to invite students and those working in various agencies within the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) to experience their lush, sprawling, 800-acre operation firsthand. Over 50 students were able to see up close what farm living is like and speak with several agriculture industry professionals about their roles. The ranch is a cow/calf operation, where the Collins raise cattle such as Brangus and Charley bulls. It was a hands-on chance for students to see what their future may look like and to use the Collins’ journey as proof that though it is difficult and demanding work, a stable “ag” career is more than possible and sustainable.

The early morning April 25 visit began with a welcome and overview from Ernie and Floretta, who both were raised on farms in Texas. After meeting at PVAMU in 1965, they became inseparable and vowed to own a large swath of land one day.

Floretta and Ernie Collins

“This farm is a 40-year dream in the making,” Ernie said. “I wanted a place like this, with rolling hills, open space, lots of water with an oak tree-lined driveway, and I wanted to own cattle. I have owned land elsewhere, but it was not where I wanted to build my home. I wanted a place where my grandchildren can play, and I can say this is a family compound.”

The large group split into smaller teams that participated in a rotation through different experiential learning stations on the farm. Members from the 100 Ranchers organization provided their trucks and hay trailers to transport students throughout the ranch. Each station featured one or more industry specialists from various USDA agencies, Texas Parks and Wildlife, and Texas A&M Forest Service that provided a brief history of their career path, a description of their role, and a demonstration of their important work. The first station, led by Jason Hohlt of the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), explained the basics of pasture grazing, the perfect scenarios for pasture growth, and plant health. The next station was led by Frank Baca and Trestan Bryant, wildlife biologists with NRCS, who manage wildlife natural resources to help the public be aware and stay safe. Many wildlife biologists voluntarily work with private landowners to assist with wildlife management because, typically, what happens on private land impacts everyone. After the wildlife management station members from the Texas A&M Forest Service gave insight on how they conserve Texas forests, help landowners identify and preserve trees and protect all vegetation from potentially destructive wildlife. The NRCS also provided a station on pond and soil management with field engineer Abram Auguste and JR Sandel, while the last station, led by Ashley Anderson from NRCS and CAHS Professor Richard Griffin, Ph.D., showed students how to use the tools needed to test soil health.

“I really enjoy interacting with students (young and older) in the field because they get a chance to expand their range of learning by using more of their senses (sight, touch, smell, and hearing) which leads to deeper connections to the knowledge being shared,” Dr. Griffin said. Tactile (touch) and audial (sound) learners really connect because they get to hold soil in their hands, followed by listening to the sound of sand grains gritting against each other when rubbed or ribboned. This activity, in turn, locks in the knowledge to be transferred to the next interaction with a different soil sample.”

CAHS Professor Tamra Tolen, Ph.D., who accompanied the group on this field experience, connected the dots for students to understand why taking courses in meat and food science can help support a future cow/calf operation like Red Hill Ranch. These insightful glimpses into Texas agriculture make the case that there is no shortage of work for upcoming professionals.

“There are many facets that deal with agriculture outside of animal and plant science, from farm designs and architecture, like building ponds or constructing proper roads for better agriculture,” Auguste said. “There are so many options for students to pick from within NRCS and across the industry.”

After the station rotation sessions, the students listened to keynote speaker Lawyer Jolly, President and General Manager of Cinco J. Ranch, and a PVAMU alum. In his thought-provoking speech, he reminded students to take every challenge that comes their way and increase their opportunities to take internships and roles that will help with their success.

Lawyer Jolly

“Always have a plan for work and have an alternative plan,” Jolly said. “Companies do not exist to give you a job, companies exist to create wealth. So, what you need to do is have your own plan so if the company’s future does not include you, you will have other options.”

CAHS Dean and Director of Land-grant Programs Gerard D’Souza, Ph.D., reflected on the impact of these kinds of visits and how it really puts the agriculture industry into perspective for the students.

“It’s one thing to learn about agriculture in the classroom, but it’s another thing altogether to visit an actual ranch and see what goes into keeping the cows healthy, managing the soil and the plants, and seeing how it all relates to the climate,” D’Souza said. “That is the challenge but also the joy of the agriculture, food, and natural resource sector that you all will be leaders of in the coming years. You all are poised for greatness.”

For Horace Hodge, PVAMU USDA/1890 Liaison, Office of Partnership and Public Engagement, two of the most important components of this field experience included students having direct contact with USDA department representatives that are offering internship opportunities and hiring graduating seniors as well as students having the chance to reflect on their time at the ranch.

“It was truly a pleasure to serve in a leading role working with the Collins’, Floyd Nauls, Dr. Alfred L. Parks, TeKedra Pierre, and the entire planning team,” Hodge said. “These experiential learning opportunities are envisioned to engage the students with practical information that catapults their career development, especially involving alumni.  Many students said they will never forget this experience.”

A few students revealed that this experience at Red Hill Ranch confirmed what they would like to pursue as a career. Many realized that owning and living on a large ranch with a thriving cattle operation is within their reach.

“I have huge aspirations for real estate,” Ag Business major Olvice Greenwood II said. “I like seeing people that look like me have all this land, and hopefully, I can make jobs for other people one day.”

Paris Williams, also an Ag Business major, wants to be a farmer and a chef, using her skills to benefit her community.

“I like food, farms, and plants, and my goal is to meet like-minded people to create my own business and feed others,” Williams said. “This trip was completely inspiring to me. Hearing that the Collins’ have 800 acres blew me away. I am glad I was able to see this because that is what I want to do with my future.

These are the types of revelations that the Collins’ were looking for by bringing students to their property. They have a true success story, and it is important to them to be a beacon of hope to future professionals.

“I enjoyed all the aspects of living on a farm when I was growing up,” Floretta said. “I could see myself doing this all my life. When I met Ernest, I learned that he had a similar upbringing, and we wanted to model that life for others to see and inspire them.”

“I know about a dozen guys that are in the ranching business because they saw what we were doing,” Ernie added. “And I am very proud of that.”

Their advice for those wanting to follow them is simple and straightforward. Just start and work hard.

“If you want to do this, you’re going to have to make a lot of sacrifices, you’ll have to cut some corners, and you can’t spend your money on frivolous things,” Ernie said. “If you want this, make the sacrifices to make it happen, and do not be afraid of a challenge.”

The ranch visit was sponsored in part by the 100 Ranchers organization and Capital Farm Credit, who were present to speak with students about agricultural banking, credit maintenance, and what it takes to get started as a landowner. Special thanks to those who made this field experience a success: Horace Hodge, Alfred Parks, Ph.D., CAHS faculty and staff, Fred Newhouse of the 100 Ranchers, Lawyer Jolly, Texas A&M Forest Service, Texas Parks and Wildlife and USDA agencies for contributing to this visit.

Pascale Mondesir
Senior Communications Specialist
pamondesir@pvamu.edu