PRAIRIE VIEW, Texas – Prairie View A&M University 2023 Founders’ Day and Honors Recognition Convocation took place on Wednesday, March 22. Inside the William “Billy” J. Nicks Sr. Building, more than 5,000 students were honored for their academic achievement throughout the 2022-2023 school year. Students on the Dean’s Honors list earned a 3.0-3.49 GPA, while those who earned a 3.5-4.0 GPA are named to the University Honor Roll. The event is meant to celebrate the hard-working scholars in each college while honoring the founders of PVAMU and the university’s lasting impact.

Guests were treated to rousing song selections by the university’s choir and university faculty and staff offered words of congratulations and further encouragement to the honorees.

“Let today’s honor and recognition motivate you for the rest of your time here at the Hill and for the rest of your life,” PVAMU Acting President Michael L. McFrazier said.

Of the many students being honored, a few hundred students belonged to the College of Agriculture and Human Sciences, another banner year for these scholars working to shape the future of the college and the world beyond. For many, this marks the first time they have earned this accomplishment, but for other upperclassmen, this distinction is nothing new. CAHS Senior Trinity Bluford has been an honors student for three different semesters and currently holds a 4.0 GPA. The recognition reminds her to remain energized for the remainder of her time here.

“I understand my weaknesses and I make sure I compensate for them wherever I can,” Bluford said. “So, for me, this honor is like I am triumphing over my personal struggles that have stayed with me.”

As a third-generation college student, she understands the desire to work hard and finish well at PVAMU. For those who have the same lofty goal as her to make the honors list, she says to find help wherever you can.

“Whenever you get stuck or are struggling with a course or concept, make sure to seek out different avenues to help you excel,” Bluford said. “See who and what can help you grow as a student, and you’ll see improvement.”

CAHS Dean and Director of Land Grant Programs, Gerard D’Souza, Ph.D., was also in attendance to support the college’s future graduates. He says convocation is a chance for students to take pleasure in all they have done during their college tenure.

“So many of our students perform so well against great odds,” D’Souza said. “And today’s convocation is a testament to their success and a way to honor them for their many great accomplishments. We were also able to honor the faculty, staff, and family members that have helped them on their way to success.”

The entire convocation can be found online on PVAMU’s official YouTube channel.

Pascale Mondesir
Communication Specialist II
pamondesir@pvamu.edu