Passion is like the scary-psycho killer from outer space who seems to come back every time you kill him. You can’t run nor hide from passion; it’s always waiting to find you. As you sleep, it wakes you.  You find yourself telling people about this passion, but no one believes it. Somehow this becomes a scene from a horror film circa 86. If you don’t face what your passionate about, it will drive you crazy.

At the age of 15, the rodeo was his scary-psycho killer for Jeremy Brown, Jr. The ever aggressive blue collar sport seemed to be on his mind virtual every second of the day. “It was my sophomore year of high school when I really took it forward and practiced hard,” Brown said.  While traveling on the outskirts of Waller County to his home, I began to see how rodeo was his true passion, and was something he could not escape.

To show his competitiveness and seriousness of this passion, he dedicates close to six hours a day of practice and preparation with hopes to be among top professionals like Cory Solomon and Fred Whitfield. With any sport, it is imperative that the experienced athlete helps the rookie; as such Solomon offers pointers and the two practice together every now and then.  “… Those are the two main guys because you know they are African American,” Brown said while explaining who inspires him by being in a predominantly white male sport. Yet, this hasn’t stopped him from embarking on the rough and rugged (literally) journey of his passion.

Jeremy Brown roping cattleGrowing up in Acres Home, a rural montage of North Houston, Brown was always around animals, and things of nature. “…my parents showed me as far as being a mechanic and working on cars. Farming basically pertained to taking care of animals that I had.” said Brown. Hence, it was that same upbringing that led him to enroll at Prairie View A&M University to study animal science at the College of Agriculture and Human Sciences. Jeremy completed his associate’s degree from Wharton Junior College where he competed on the rodeo team.

Upon his arrival at PVAMU, he noticed there was only a rodeo club, not an actual team. However, with support of the College of Agriculture and Human Sciences and  the dean, Dr. Alton B. Johnson, he decided to start a rodeo team. This task would prove to be more difficult than he could ever imagine.  Because there is a lack of funding for the team, he couldn’t find any other people that would join the team.  Taking the courage instilled in him as child, he decided that he would represent PVAMU as a one man team.  “It’s an eye catcher because being the only one to represent Prairie View A&M University, I’m trying to make us look good. I’m trying to put us on top, so its pressure…but I think I can handle it.” Brown stated enthusiastically.

Pressure is becoming the face of this young man for not just singly representing the university and College in this arena, but feeling the brunt of personally financing most of his entry fees with the assistance from the College of Agriculture and Human Sciences, travel costs to fulfill his passion and pave the way for those coming after him with the same goal.

Jeremy is a true example of what it means to follow your dreams and letting passion guide you. From his self-discipline when it comes to practicing to his selfless acts of endorsement into the rodeo team, Jeremey Brown truly exemplifies the mantra that Prairie View Produces Productive people.

See Full Interview Below

What made you decide to obtain the degree that you are pursuing now?

Well, my background because of what my parents showed me as far as being a mechanic and working on cars. Farming basically for me is pertaining to taking care of animals that I have. Cows, different crops and things like that, I figured an animal science degree would be beneficial.

What made you interested in AG as a youth?

I would say my parents teaching me and showing me different things that are Ag related such as farming and the responsibilities of taking care of animals.

What are you going to do with your degree once it’s obtained?

I’m looking forward to moving and maybe working for the USDA doing something animal related. I am not opposed to working in animal control or something like that.

Why Animal Control?

Knowing about different animals, getting into their natural habitat, being able to get animals and learn how to capture them without harming them is interesting.

How has it been being the only one representing PVAMU?

Well, like I said it was an African American School and I didn’t know if Prairie View had that program or a group like that at this school. I felt that it would be cool if I stepped forward and said they let me try it or let me be a representative for the school to rodeo for ya’ll.

Who are some of your influences in Rodeo?

I would say Cory Solomon and Fred Whitfield. Those are the two main guys because they are African-American. But there are other guys like Cody O, Marty Yates are young guys I kind of watched and came up with. There are a number of them Blare Burk, I could go on, you know it’s a long list.

How often do you practice?

Pretty much every day, I try to practice every day, I try to rope practice something every day. I try to ride my horse every day. I would say five to six hours a day. I get up in the morning saddle my horses ride my horses. Then by the afternoon I might go over to a friend’s to rope some calves or tie some depending on how the day goes.

Have you won any rodeo calf roping events?

Yes sir, I have won a handful of rodeos, most of the time a lot of jackpots. I haven’t gone to a lot of professional rodeos. As far as college rodeos, I have placed once or twice. They aren’t that tough; it’s just all about having a good horse and the support. At the time, I didn’t have a really good horse or rope as far as the other guys that were winning. That was my downfall.

Do you receive the support that you need from the PVAMU College of Agriculture?

I would say yes. I mean at this moment in time, we do not have a practice facility or a team. As far as a coach, I would like to have a coach standing alongside of me representing Prairie View as well. But by me being there by myself, it is a little bit more pressure because I am handling everything. As far as entering myself for the rodeo and making sure everything is ready to go for me to travel to these rodeos. So I would say that yeah I would like a little more support, because I have to pay out of pocket quite a bit, to represent the university. But that is up to me to speak up for myself and ask for that support.

What is the average size of a college team?

Ten people is the average size.  There are many teams, as there are a bunch of schools. Unfortunately Prairie View does not have a team at all.

What would it take to get more people to rodeo?

Putting the word out there. Getting kids telling them they have the opportunity. Giving Scholarships. Or giving kids the chance. I’m pretty sure there are scholarships it’s just a matter of speaking out about it and letting the dean know. I’m not on any scholarships. It is just something that I need to look into.

How do you deal with pressure?

Jeremy: Pray, I pray about it and talk to God.

Michael Thomas

Michael Thomas
Multimedia Specialist
mtthomas@pvamu.edu
(936) 261-5146