Interview with Rolando Zamora, Extension Agent, Willacy County by Gail Long

What was your first job? My first job was working for the USDA Soil Conservation Service as a county employee in 1991. My duties were counting dead citrus trees in the Rio Grande Valley under the Tree Assistance Program until I finished college in 1995.

Where did you grow up? I grew up in a small rural community know as Linn San Manuel, Texas located in the Rio Grande Valley. Population of about 700.

Tell us something others would be surprised to know about you? As people may know me for my passion for cooking BBQ, ranching, fishing and hunting, I enjoy playing basketball.

What words best described you? Ambitious with a little humor.

Were you always interested in becoming an Extension Agent? No…. I wanted to become an Agriculture Science Teacher but when I was introduced to Cooperative Extension Program, I have been here 16 yrs.

What’s the best advice you have ever received? To enjoy what you are doing and to have fun. Learn ideas from others. They may work or they may not but you got to go out and look at furthering your knowledge.

Rolando Zamora

What do you like about working as an Extension Agent? There are always new people you meet (young and old) and your educational programming may target different audiences trough out the week. There’s never a dull moment at the extension office. We are here to help people even if you have to reach outside the box.

What are you responsible for in your role as an Extension Agent? I am responsible to follow my plan of work that I have organized and to meet those goals and outcomes. I have clients who are counting on me to help them with their situations such as; establishing a business plan, assistance in a loan, looking at improving family finances, community gardens, and other related topics. It is my duties to make sure they are reached.

What keeps you busy when you are not at work? I live out on a ranch and I tend to my small herd of cattle and wildlife operation. I also participate in community events to help our local church, school, fire department and others youth groups. Work related, I still talk to people outside of work and tell them what I do and if they need any help.

What do you do for stress relief? At home, I work at the ranch. This is great because it may be some hard physical activity for the body but it is soothing for the mind. At work, you need to know how to pace yourself.

What’s your favorite book? I don’t like reading! That’s who I am. I enjoy working outside or doing things. I guess I could say that outdoor wildlife books are on the top of my list.

What do you like about living in Willacy County? I like the small rural setting. The people enjoy their historic town and are trying to keep it traditional but at the same time trying to bring in new business growth, parks, street improvement, and more. Agriculture has been the back bone of this county and still is but with new technology such as our wind turbines and neighboring county space launching sight we can say that Willacy County is keeping up with the rest.