PRAIRIE VIEW, Texas – Starting two businesses while maintaining a full-time university workload isn’t easy, but Prairie View A&M University (PVAMU) Bachelor of Business Administration in Management candidate Imari Kannady put her degree to work before she even finished her final semester on “The Hill.”

Imari Kannady

Imari Kannady

Kannady runs an online lash business called General Lash and is in the final stages of launching a clothing line. She’s also exploring brick-and-mortar locations for a hookah bar.

“PVAMU has a lot of influence on Black entrepreneurs. They have helped me grow my business, even dealing with people. PVAMU networking is amazing, and it helps grow your money and meet new people,” Kannady said.

Kannady credits the PVAMU Innovation and Entrepreneurship Program and Assistant Professor Business Rick Baldwin, Ph.D., for challenging her to explore business ideas and eventually launch her online business, primarily using Instagram. She also had an internship at a Houston-based sales and marketing company, which gave her real-world experience in product marketing and campaigns.

“Imari Kannady is another student success story, balancing her academic studies with personal goals,” Baldwin said. “I found Imari to have a great passion for accomplishing both her academic and personal goals. She is an example of the culture the Innovation and Entrepreneurship Program promotes: ‘Not just being content in working in organizations, but be willing to create your own organization.’ Be a Job Creator.”

As a first-generation college graduate, Kannady attended PVAMU for all four years of her education, and she’s excited to walk across the stage not just with a degree but with the skills to run her business while launching a few more. The accomplishment is a testament to her hard work and the support she received from her family along the way.

“My grandma and mother influenced me. My grandma has been very supportive every step of the way; anything I need, she’s there. She always has my back, and so does my mom,” Kannady said.

The PVAMU experience was more than just a training ground for her business. The family vibe and close connections she developed helped her grow her business skills, but she also acknowledges the college experience is up to the individual.

“I wanted to attend PVAMU because it’s a great school, and I got to be around my culture and learn. PVAMU will either build you or break you. It’s all based on you, and, honestly, it built me and made me into the person I am today,” she said.

Now that Kannady has completed all of the work to earn her degree, she’s focused on growing and developing her business ideas. She encourages other students to put in the work and dedication to explore their dreams, even before graduating.

“Stay focused, and even when it gets hard, don’t give up. It’s worth it in the end,” she said.

By Jocelyn Kerr

-PVAMU-