PRAIRIE VIEW, Texas (March 18, 2024) – “Prairie View Produces Productive People” is how the adage goes. Dina Tekle, a senior biology student at Prairie View A&M set to graduate this spring, is redefining it: being a woman in medical research and working to close gaps in knowledge in the understanding of diseases and illness. She is hoping to play a part in eliminating diseases such as metastatic breast cancer, a field she previously focused on in her research. She is now working in biochemistry research.

Dina Tekle

But aside from her professional work, Tekle is closing gaps personally: redefining and reframing what it looks like for women and first-generation college students to make strides in the medical research world. She is the daughter of immigrant parents. An honors student who has already presented at prestigious research symposiums, Tekle is ready to tackle the world. She is all of these things and more, affirming not just productivity from PVAMU but also inspiration.

“The environment at PVAMU is supportive and nurturing. My professors and mentors have been here every step of the way to help guide me and have also encouraged me to persist,” Tekle said. “I have had many opportunities here that I would never have imagined, such as summer research internships at institutions like Johns Hopkins and UT Southwestern, and I have also had the opportunity to attend and present my research at conferences, such as the Leadership Alliance National Symposium in Hartford, Connecticut, and ABRCMS (Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minoritized Scientists).”

She hasn’t done it alone, either. She was the first in her family to go to college, so she didn’t have a blueprint to follow. However, PVAMU has not only supported her academically, but the community has gone on the journey with her every step of the way.

“I found a sense of community here, and I have built strong lifelong friendships that I will cherish beyond my time here at PVAMU,” Tekle said.

This fall, Tekle begins her doctorate studies in biochemistry at the University of Michigan. She plans to pursue a career in research, a path for which PVAMU and the Honors Program prepared her well.

Dina Tekle

At PVAMU, she has engaged in research in Dr. Anna Joy’s lab, specifically working on developing forebrain organoids as models for breast cancer brain metastasis research. Dr. Joy is a research associate professor in the Center for Computational Systems Biology.

“Honors encourages their students to step outside of their comfort zone and experience growth outside of academics,” Tekle said. “Since joining the Honors Program, I have seized opportunities to step outside of my bubble and connect with other students within the program. I believe that it takes a village! My professors, mentors and the support I have received from everyone here, including in the Honors Program, have all equally contributed to preparing me well for my career path.”

She emphasized that biology faculty like Dr. Quincy Moore, Dr. Lori Banks, Dr. Harriette Howard-Lee Block, Dr. Victoria Mgbemena, and others are invaluable in the learning process because they offer their experience, guidance and encouragement.

“I would like to thank the Honors Program for allowing me the opportunity to be a part of an extraordinary group of students and for giving me the platform to share my story,” Tekle said. “I would also like to thank my mentors and professors for their guidance; much of my success is because of them. Most of all, I want to thank my parents and best friend; I would not have made it through without their never-ending support.”

Tekle is not alone in her experience as a first-generation student, and she hopes that sharing her story will encourage others. Just as PVAMU Produces Productive People, it also produces people who face adversity head-on and don’t give up.

Dina Tekle

“My advice to first-generation students is to believe in yourself and your dreams,” Tekle said. “I know it is a bit harder to envision and execute your plans when no one has gone through it before to help guide you, but just know there is a community here at PV to support you and help you.”

By Meredith Mohr

-PVAMU-