LTC Reginald Williams

Prairie View A&M University’s Army ROTC Program has flourished in recent years, and most of its success is due to Lieutenant Colonel Reginald Williams. Williams joined PVAMU back in 2016 as a department head and a professor of Military Science.

“I’ve been in the Army for 19 years, and I have never seen such an aggressive program as we have here at PV,” said Williams. “I take part in our physical training exercises, or PTs, with my students, and I must say that I’m in the best shape of my life.”

During the past two years, the Army ROTC program has commissioned dozens of cadets, put a select number of students through the Army’s rigorous Airborne School, and sent a cadet abroad to Estonia for cultural studies.

“In about 24 months, our University may also see its first female minority combat arms officer, which is a spectacular accomplishment,” said Williams. “Unfortunately, there’s a stigma in the Army that says that minorities can’t be successful in the combat realm. But, as a 19-year infantryman with three combat tours and a Ranger Tab, I want my students to know that this is an avenue where they can absolutely be successful; they can do it.”

Williams says his motivation for training the next generation of soldiers is simple. “The Army is a small place; it’s also a family business. There is a high chance that I will run into my students again in the future. This means, the better officer I can create, the better they will be able to serve in the Army,” said Williams. “Eventually, when I do take off this uniform for good, I want to make sure the officers who come from PV can continue to help protect the blanket of freedom that we hold onto so dearly here in America.”

LTC Williams will conclude his assignment at PVAMU in July. In his next job, he will command a battalion in Ft. Bliss, Texas. He will be responsible for the training and certification of National Guard and Reserve units deploying in support of operational missions.

###

-This story by Marchita Shilo originally appeared in Academic Insights.