Alvin Odom
Alvin Odom

Alvin Odom: Investing in Community

Alvin Odom’s mantra is “begin with the end in mind,” and graduating with a Master’s in Community Development from PVAMU represents an exciting step towards the end he’s had in mind this whole time: stronger, more resilient communities.

After receiving his BS in Business Administration from Florida A&M University, Odom was recruited by Charles Schwab Bank in 2017 to develop strategies for the firm’s multicultural lending efforts.

“Beginning in undergrad, I knew I wanted to work in the financial services industry and use the knowledge acquired there to give back to my community. That was my goal then, and continues to be my goal 15 years into my career in financial services,” he said of his experience.

Now the Senior Manager in the Diverse Markets department at Charles Schwab Bank, Odom chose to apply to PVAMU’s Master of Community Development Program after hearing interim director Kevin Riles speak at the National Association of Real Estate Brokers conference.

“I was intrigued by the way Mr. Riles took such complex topics and broke them down in a fun and digestible way. When his presentation wrapped up, I remember turning to my wife, Jessica, and saying, ‘…I can see myself doing that.’ Jessica approached Mr. Riles afterward and found out that he was the interim director of PVAMU’s Master of Community Development Program. I went through the application process two-and-a-half years ago, and as they say, the rest is history,” he explained.

While pursuing his masters, Odom interned with the community development department at Charles Schwab Bank in Henderson, Nevada. He gained a deeper understanding of how the institution could help develop the community through lending, grants, and tax credits.

His research topic, in particular, helped further his community-focused mission.

“One of the purposes of the internship was to conduct research related to some aspect of community development. I chose to research, more in-depth, a federal law called The Community Reinvestment Act or CRA,” he explained, “CRA was a law enacted in 1977 for the purpose of ensuring that depository institutions not only took the deposits of the communities they operate in, but they lend in those communities as well to support low- and moderate-income individuals and families.”

There’s no doubt that his thorough understanding of the financial services available for community development will help him make a positive, lasting impact. With a solid sense of purpose driving him forward, Odom reiterated the importance of his mantra.

“Beginning with the end in mind increases the probability that I will achieve my goals,” he said, “I see life through the lens of probabilities and not guarantees.”

###
By Marley Crusch