About DegreeWorks

These are general questions some pertain to advisors/faculty and some to students.

Q:What is Degree Works?
“DEGREE WORKS” is a computerized degree worksheet program and academic advising tool designed to assist you and advisors in reviewing your degree progress.

Q: What is a worksheet?
A Degree Works worksheet is a review of past, current and “planned” coursework that provides information on completed and outstanding requirements necessary to complete a degree/major/minor/concentration. The worksheet is divided into block requirements such as Degree, University Core, and Major Requirements. Each block works like a checklist with boxes that are automatically checked when a requirement is met. Review the worksheet legend for more information.

Q: Is my information confidential?
Yes. Degree Works is accessed through your secure Panther-Tracks (portal) login.

Q: What are the benefits of using Degree Works?
DEGREE WORKS will help you:

  • Determine what requirements you need to fulfill in order to complete your degree.
  • View individual course grades, cumulative grade‐point average (GPA), and major average.
  • Determine which courses you have taken or transferred, and which ones count as electives.
  • View transfer credits, waivers, and substitutions applied toward degree.
  • See how your coursework could be applied toward another major, minor, or concentration using the What If option.
  • Estimate how many semesters it will take you to graduate.
  • Learn the prerequisites and co‐requisites for courses by clicking on the course numbers.

Q: How do I access Degree Works?
Through your Panther-Tracks account. Students see How Do I’s and Advisor/User Tutorial

Q: When can I use my Degree Works worksheet?
Use your DEGREE WORKS Worksheet when:

  1. Reviewing your progress with an advisor.
  2. Creating a list of questions to discuss with your advisor.
  3. Identifying courses that need to be completed.
  4. Selecting courses that meet your degree requirements.
  5. Determining a projected graduation date.
  6. Choosing a major.
  7. Deciding whether to add a minor.

Q: Who will have access to use Degree Works?
Advisors and students both will be able to use the system as an advising tool to better follow the student’s progress and determine which requirements are still needed.

Q: Can I register for classes in Degree Works?
No, Degree Works is a snapshot of courses in‐progress, planned, and in your academic history. Registration and drop/add, are still handled through already established procedures.

Q: Can I change a major through Degree Works?
No, contact the department advisor for information on changing your major.  Students must submit a change a major form with required signatures.

Q: Is Degree Works the same as my transcript?
No, Degree Works is an unofficial worksheet of your coursework, as well as an outline of requirements still needed to complete your program of study.

Q: When will Degree Works be available to the campus?
Degree Works is will be available to all advisors & to the students on Fall 2014-  2017 Spring 2017. Students on older catalogs will be available summer 2017.

Q: What is a Catalog Year?
The catalog year determines which catalog/degree requirements students follow to obtain a degree. Students may update the catalog year to a more current year by contacting their advisor.

Q: Where can I get more information about how to use Degree Works?
If you have questions or suggestions after reviewing My Degree Works, please email the Registrar’s Office at mydegreeworks@pvamu.edu, or stop by our office in Memorial Student Center.

Q: Who should I contact if I have questions?
Your first point of contact should be your advisor. If you still have questions after that meeting, contact the Registrar’s Office at mydegreeworks@pvamu.edu
(send this from your student PVAMU e‐mail address so we can securely respond back to you by e‐mail) or stop by our office in the MSC.

Q: I think my worksheet is incorrect. What should I do?
Please ask for help from your advisor or the Registrar’s Office immediately! These are the most common problems and solutions:

  1. My major is wrong and/or my concentration doesn’t appear on my worksheet.If this is the case, you need to contact your adviser and update your major and concentration information. Once the information is changed in Panther Tracks, your correct information should appear on your worksheet.
  2. The requirements for my major are wrong.Please ask for help from your advisor or the Registrar’s Office immediately! See university catalog.
  3. My transfer courses don’t appear in the right place. Please visit the Registrar’s Office on the 3rd floor in Memorial Student Center (MSC) to review transfer credits at your previous institution.
  4. My advisor or department head gave me permission to substitute a course, but it’s not showing on my worksheet.Contact advisor to see if change corrections related to substitutions need to be made.

Q: My graduation application has been accepted, but Degree Works says that I haven’t completed all my requirements. Does this mean that I won’t be able to graduate?
Please see advisor for a thorough review of worksheet.

Q: How is my degree worksheet different from my transcript?
Your degree evaluation is a tool to provide you with academic information related to your degree progress. It displays courses required and completed in your degree program. Your transcript is your official university record and provides a chronological list of courses completed and other academic information. Your official transcript must be requested from the Registrar’s Office.

Q: How does Degree Works decide where to place courses that I’ve completed?
Degree Works is programmed based on the university catalog for the department degree.

Q: What should I do if Degree Works used a course in one section, and I want to use it in another?
See advisor to see if change is allowable.

Q: I petitioned to waive/substitute a course. How will that course appear in Degree Works?
Your petition will be recorded after it is approved by your advisor, department chair, and, if necessary, dean.

Q: How do I check to see if a minor is required for my major?
See university catalog.

Q: My major requires me to complete a concentration, but it didn’t appear on the worksheet.
? Please complete and secure signature from your advisor on the change of major form (add/concentration).

Q: I’m getting two degrees (a BA and BS, etc). Only one appears on the worksheet. How can I check the requirements for my other program of study?
See your advisor to make sure you completed change of major form.

Q: I’ve seen the @ symbol in several places on my worksheet. What does this mean?
This is a wild card in Degree Works. If the @ sign appears with course numbers after it (i.e., @ 4000), it means that you can take a 4000 level course from any subject area. If it appears after a subject prefix (i.e., PSYC @), it means that you can take any
Psychology course.

Q: I’m a “pre” major. How can I be sure that I’m keeping up with all of my degree requirements?
For the programs that have a pre‐major for students preparing for admission to their programs (Nursing, etc.), Degree Works will only review your University Core and some program entrance requirements. You should work closely with your advisor for requirements.

Q: What should I do if my Degree Works Worksheet says I still need a course that I know completed or do not need to take?
Contact your advisor or send an e‐mail to mydegreeworks@pvamu.edu indicating you have a Degree Worksheet issue.

Q: Am I able to change my catalog year to meet a different set of requirements?
Please see your department advisor to see if you can move to a different catalog.

Q: Will my substitutions still apply after I change my major?
Substitutions may only apply only to the degree and major for which they were approved. If you change your major or degree, a new substitution may need to be submitted and approved. See your department advisor.

Q: Are inprogress courses applied to my worksheet?
Courses you are currently taking or have registered for in a future semester are included in your degree worksheet. These courses are applied into the requirement block(s) where they meet a specific requirement with a grade of IP for Inprogress.
You will also see them grouped in a separate section titled Inprogress near the bottom of the Worksheet. Please be aware that the total credit counts listed near the top of your worksheet include in‐progress credits.

Q: Who can see my Degree Works worksheet?
Advisors, Department heads, college Deans, and selected staff in the Registrar, Admissions and Enrollment Management offices will also have access to your worksheet.

Q: Do I automatically graduate if everything is checked off?
To graduate, you must submit an application for graduation. The Registrar’s
Office will verify all degree requirements and if successfully completed your degree will be posted.

Q: My advisor/instructor/friend told me that a class would work to meet a requirement, but Degree Works is not pulling it into that area. What do I do?
In order for students to graduate from PVAMU, they must meet the requirements of their major program as stated in the PVAMU catalog. If an advisor or instructor tells a student that a particular course would work instead of what is written in the catalog, the student needs to work with their department to make sure any necessary petitions have been submitted and approved. Students should utilize their Degree Works worksheet to verify that all of their requirements are complete and to track petitions. If a petition is not noted in Degree Works, it will not be considered when the Registrar’s Office completes the final worksheet.

Q: I see an approved petition in Degree Works, but it is not applied within my worksheet.
Why not?
A petition may appear at the bottom of your degree worksheet but not within your actual worksheet for a few reasons:

  1. The petition was approved for a different degree. A petition approved for a BS in Anthropology, for example, cannot be applied to BA in Anthropology or a BS in Biological Sciences. Petitions are approved for one degree and major only.
  2. A Degree Works error has removed the petition from your worksheet. If this appears to be the case, please email mydegreeworks@pvamu.edu from your PVAMU e-mail account with your full name and student ID number.