African American Studies
Full length journal, magazine and newspaper articles can be found in our online article collections.
If a book or article cannot be found in PVAMU’s resources, it can usually be borrowed from another library. Fill out the Interlibrary Loan form, and please note that it may take several weeks to receive the item.
Use the Online Library Catalog for names and other key terms like Harlem Renaissance. You’ll find useful statistics and background information in such books in the Reference area at:
- African American frontiers : Slave Narratives and Oral Histories Ref E444 .G68 2000
- Encyclopedia of African-American Culture and History Ref E185 .E54 1996
- African-American writers : a Dictionary Ref PS 153 N5 A3444
- African American Firsts in Science & Technology Ref Q141 .W43 1999
- Almanac of African American heritage Ref E185.A448 2001
- Contemporary Black Biography Ref E185.96 .C66
Ref E185 .E545 2006 Encyclopedia of African American history, 1619-1895 : from the colonial period to the age of Frederick Douglass / editor in chief, Paul Finkelman.
Ref E185 .E554 2005 Encyclopedia of Black studies / edited by Molefi Kete Asante [and] Ama Mazama.
- Ref E185 .R44 1997 Reference library of Black America / edited by L. Mpho Mabunda.
- Ref E 185 S574 1998 Atlas of African-American history and politics : from the slave trade to modern times / Arwin D. Smallwood with Jeffrey M. Elliot.
- Ref E185 .S797 2003 African American years / Gabriel Burns Stepto.
- Ref E185.86 .B542 2005 Black women in America / Darlene Clark Hine, editor in chief.
- Ref E185.93.T4 W55 1995 Black Texas women : 150 years of trial and triumph / Ruthe Winegarten ; Janet G. Humphrey and Frieda Werden, consulting editors.
- Ref E185.96 .F2 1997 Facts on File encyclopedia of Black women in America / Darlene Clark Hine, editor ; Kathleen Thompson, associate editor.
- Ref E185.96 .H23 1983 Famous firsts of black Americans / Sibyl Hancock ; illustrations by Shelton Miles.
- Ref E185.96 N68 1992 Notable Black American women / Jessie Carney Smith, editor.
- Ref E185.96 .W52 Who’s who among African Americans / introductory essays by Nikki Giovanni and Synthia Saint James ; edited by Ashyia N. Henderson.
- African-American Odyssey – http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/aaohtml/aohome.html
- Digital Schomburg Images of 19th Century African Americans – http://digital.nypl.org/schomburg/images_aa19/
- African American Genealogy – http://www.archives.gov/genealogy/index.html