In 1926, Dr. W. R. Banks was appointed the 7th Principal of Prairie View.
Principal and Mrs. W. R. Banks
W.R. Banks became principal in 1926 and served until his retirement in August of 1947, when he was named principal emeritus. During this period, the physical plant doubled in size with the addition of a dining hall, a hospital, three apartment buildings for male teachers, three dormitories for women, a greenhouse, an incubator house, a classroom building, an NYA resident center , a library, and more than 60 cottages for faculty families.
37 years of happy married life best describe the Banks’ relationship.
Left – Principal W. R. Banks and some visitors. Mr. Hobart Taylor
is an alumnus of P.V. and owns a taxi line in Houston, Texas
© Copyright 2012 – Prairie View A&M University – All rights reserved
Was this information helpful? Provide Feedback or report broken links.