International Student Employment

On-Campus Employment Eligibility

Students eligible for on-campus employment must be cleared for employment by the international student advisor’s office.  Employment eligibility will be verified each semester of offered employment. Students who have completed their course of study are not permitted to continue on-campus employment with the University and additional employment authorization will be required.

International Students Who are Enrolled at another University
International students who are enrolled at another university are only eligible for on-campus employment at the school they are attending (the school that issued the Form I-20). Students wishing to be employed by Prairie View A&M University are required to have permission from the school they are currently attending.  An example of such employment would be Curricular Practical Training (internship).

On-Campus Employment

The Department of Homeland Security provides employment opportunities for F-1 students to be employed during F-1 status. Unauthorized employment is a violation of student status. You may work on-campus as long as you are maintaining  legal F-1 status. On-Campus employment is limited to 20 hours a week while school is in session and full time when school is not in session. On-Campus employment includes employment with commercial firms that provide a service to the university such as the cafeteria or bookstore.

Off-Campus Employment

Optional Practical Training (OPT) – OPT is temporary employment directly related to the student’s major field of study. OPT can be used during or after the student’s studies. 12 months is given for each degree level.  Some STEM degrees may extend an additional 24 months.  Student must be in legal status for at least one academic year.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) – CPT is paid or unpaid training that is required as an integral part of an established curriculum in the student’s course of study. Students must be in legal status for at least one academic year.

Severe Economic Hardship – The student must apply through the Department of Homeland Security to work off-campus due to severe economic hardship. This employment is limited to 20 hours per week while school is in session and full time when school is not in session.

Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification

The university is required by law to complete a Form I-9 on all hired individuals to verify identity and employment eligibility.  The Form I-9 will be processed by the Student Employment Office or the Office of Human Resources – whichever office having responsibility for processing the student’s employment paperwork.

Social Security Card/Number

The social security account number is issued by the Social Security Administration for employment purposes only. A social security number is needed for employment and tax purposes. Students working on-campus as student workers or Graduate Assistants will need a social security account number.

Eligibility for a Social Security Account number:

  • You must be eligible to work in the U.S. (on-campus employment)
  • You must be registered for a full course of study.
  • You must have a job offer letter.

Documents required to apply for a Social Security Account number:

  1. Letter from Hiring Department

You must have an employment offer letter from the on-campus hiring department stating the following:

  • Your Name
  • Your Job Title
  • Your Job Description
  • Your Employment Start Date
  • The number of Hours you will work per week
  • Your supervisor’s name, job title and telephone number

2. Letter from International Student Advisor

  • Provide your job offer letter to your international student advisor. Your international student advisor will provide you with a letter verifying your student status and authorized employment.

3. Immigration Documents

  • Valid Passport, F-1 Student Visa, I-94 Record, Form I-20

Note: F-2 dependents of F-1 students are not eligible for a social security account number.  F-2 dependents are not eligible for employment in the United States. Further details can be found under Social Security Administration