All employees at Prairie View A&M University are entitled to earn leave on a monthly basis. The University offers various paid and unpaid leave programs, such as Sick and Vacation Leave, Sick Leave Pool, Family Medical Leave (FMLA), and Military Leave, just to name a few.
The University Leave Administrator is available to assist employees with their leave questions or concerns if their departmental Leave Coordinator is unavailable to assist them. The Leave Administrator, Ms. Desherria Campbell, can be contacted via email at email@example.com or by telephone at (936) 261-1728.
While employees are entitled to use their leave, a request for any type of leave must be submitted and approved in advance. This can be done through the University’s LeaveTraq System, which is accessible through the Single Sign On program.
The A&M System provides many types of leaves to regular employees (those budgeted for at least 50% time for at least 41/2 months, except students employed in positions that require student status as a condition for employment).
Eligible employees on paid status for at least part of a month earn vacation and sick leave hours on the first day of that month. The hours are credited to an employee’s leave balance and are available to the employee only after the employee reports to work.
Employees on leave without pay for an entire calendar month do not accrue vacation and sick leave for that month. Employees must apply for leave using the Leave Traq System.
Submitting a Leave Document
All employees must submit a leave form on LeaveTraq (prior to leaving the University), with the exception of employees traveling on university related business, where a paper leave form should be completed and submitted to the Travel Office. Employees must submit leave forms thru LeaveTraq. Employees must submit leave form for use of Vacation, Sick, Leave of Absence with Pay, Leave without pay, Jury Summons and all other leave following under any of the categories as stated above. Employees must have approval prior to leaving the University. If an immediate supervisor is not available for approval, the supervisor’s delegate can approve documents. Log on at https://sso.tamus.edu/.
Canceling a Leave Document
In the event an employee needs to cancel a scheduled leave day/hour(s) the Departmental Leave Coordinator may cancel the document as long as the employee’s and his/her Primary Leave Manager signature are on the cancelation request (the cancellation request should be a print out of the employee’s leave document confirming the date and time the employee submitted the leave and when it was approved.) If the Department Coordinator and his/her back up are unavailable the Central Leave Administrator will follow the steps below:
- Visit the Single Sign On website at sso.tamus.edu and log in.
- Click on Leave Traq and change the role to “Central Admin”.
- Select the employee requiring the cancelation.
- Click the “Emp Doc” tab.
- On the “Document ID” tab and write in a comment regarding the cancelation.
- Click the “Cancel” button.
- The employee/department should send via email a scanned copy of the of the request to firstname.lastname@example.org in the subject line of the email should read Cancellation Request – Employee Name, the request will then be placed into the employees leave file. Do not send paper forms to the Central Leave Coordinator.
Requesting Time From Sick Leave Pool
Employees or their immediate family members who have a catastrophic illness and/or injury may apply for time from the Sick Leave Pool by using the Sick Leave Pool Withdrawal Form, Sick Leave Pool Acknowledgement Form, and the Medical Certification Form.
In order to be eligible for Sick Leave Pool an employee must:
- Miss at least 160 hours due to the condition
- Exhaust all paid leave
- All documents are received and completed in its entirety. Sick Leave Pool hours cannot be granted retroactively.
- All parts of the form must be completed in their entirety with strong emphasis on the date of return, a brief description of the illness and any other field offering as much detail information as possible.
The Office of Human Resources will make a decision if this event is considered to be a catastrophic illness and/or injury. If the employee is approved, they will be notified via email, phone and mail.
Requesting Prior State Service
All employees wanting Prior Service Verification must complete the Prior Service Verification Form. This form is originally given to the employees during New Employee Orientation. Once the form is complete, the employee will submit to the Office of Human Resources Leave Administrator, Ms. Desherria Campbell. The Leave Administrator will forward the information to the listed state agencies (Independent School Districts and Junior Colleges are not considered a state agency.) Once all of the information has been provided from the state agencies, the Leave Administrator will update the employee’s months of service and leave accruals if eligible. If any BRP money is due or back pay for longevity and hazardous duty, a letter will be sent to the employee’s supervisor and the employee.
University Administrative Procedures
- 31.03.01.P0.01 Vacation
- 31.03.02.P01.01 – Sick Leave
- 31.03.03.P0.01 Leave of Absence with Pay
- 31.03.05.P0.01 – Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) Vacation
- 31.03.99.P0.01 – Lump Sum Termination Pay
- 31.06.01.P0.01 – Sick Leave Pool
Was this information helpful? Provide Feedback or report broken links.