December 10 – Entrepreneurs are visionaries and risk takers who play a critical role in growing our economy, creating jobs, innovating products and services across our state and nation.  According to the SBA, small businesses have generated 64% of net new jobs over the past 15 years.  Although small businesses add more than half of new jobs each year, many of them fail within the first five years of business.  Then the one question that remains is why do small businesses fail?  Some of the most significant factors for business failure is the lack of guidance (mentorship,) capital (money,) and starting on a solid foundation.

The Art of the Startup is a workshop designed to give businesses a solid foundation to get started, be inspired and learn from other community entrepreneurs.

“Often those who desire to open a business do not know where to start.  We wanted to provide a place they can learn and be inspired to start their business,” stated Talia Washington, Program Specialist Community Economic Development Department.

This year, during National Entrepreneurship Month, the Community & Economic Development unit of the Cooperative Extension Program wanted to recognize the importance and increased demand for innovation, technology, and entrepreneurship in limited resources communities which led to the creation of the 2nd Annual the Art of the Startup: Techpreneurs.

“As we advance into the digital age, it’s imperative that we collaborate our local tech entrepreneurs who serve as true pioneers of possibility, prosperity and who drive our economy,” stated Nate Peterson, Harris County Extension Agent in Community Economic Development.

This year more than 50 participants including Carl Wunsche Sr. High School juniors and seniors, professionals, and business owners attended the event. The following topics were covered:

Top 10 Things to Starting a Business

Designing Your Own App

Protecting Your Idea

Funding Your Venture

3-D Printing

Designing a Website from Scratch

The Art of the Startup experienced a 30% increase in registration and participation since its implementation in 2017. The CED Unit will continue to innovate the event around current and potential entrepreneurial opportunities for limited-resource communities for years to come. Overall, 90% of the participants were highly satisfied with the quality of the event, location, speakers and looking forward to participating in Harris County upcoming 2019 CED programs. Participants also received professional folders that contained information about the Cooperative Extension Program and lots of other information from the College of Agriculture and Human Sciences and Texas LLC Filing Forms.

Gaati Werema, Founder of Ladies of the Game, saw an increase in revenues after attending the 2017 The Art of the Startup. “I was able to get insight into how to better scale my business. The speakers were dynamic and very helpful. I was able to have a few conversations with several of the speakers and staff to get personal insight on certain areas of my business, and that was very helpful. As a result, I am apart of several professional networking groups that have brought my company more business, and I have been able to share information that I learned with other entrepreneurs that were invaluable to them. I had the opportunity to sit with Mr. Natriez Peterson who provided me with documentation for certifications that would help me as a small minority business. I am thrilled that I decided to be a part of this event and it has added so much value to my business and personal life. I am grateful for this event, and I hope it continues throughout the years so others can benefit from this program like I have.”

Although the statistics of failure rates among small business and startups can be alarming, businesses are thriving today because of brave innovators, technologists, and entrepreneurs who had a vision and a passion that fueled their dreams.  We look forward to seeing more businesses starting and growing through this program.

If you would like to start a business in Harris County, contact Natriez Peterson at nbpeterson@pvamu.edu or (713)274-0988.

The CEP does not discriminate against anyone regardless of their race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity (including gender expression), sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, family/parental status, income derived from a public assistance program, political beliefs, reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity, in any program or activity.

Natriez Peterson

Natriez Peterson
CED Agent Harris County
(713)274-0988
nbpeterson@pvamu.edu

Talia Washington

Talia Washington
Program Specialist II
(936)-261-5119
tbwashington@pvamu.edu