CAHS Delegation Excels at 2017 National MANRRS Conference
Three Prairie View A&M University College of Agriculture and Human Sciences’ students received top awards for their research presented at the 2017 National Career Fair and Training Conference of the Society for Minorities in Agriculture, Natural Resources and Related Sciences (MANRRS) in Pittsburgh, PA, March 30 – April 1. The following students were recognized at the Annual MANRRS Awards Banquet on April 1:
- Shirley Fritzsching, a senior agriculture major – 1st Place Undergraduate Research Poster
- Jasmine Hayes, a senior agriculture major – 1st Place Undergraduate Research Poster
- Gabriel Phillips, a senior agriculture major – 3rd Place Undergraduate Research Poster
Additionally, members of the PVAMU delegation were recognized for the following achievements:
- Tiffany Latin, a senior agriculture major – Elected the 2017-2018 Region IV Undergraduate Student Vice President; Served as a conference workshop presenter (“What Would You Do in This Interview”); Member of 2017-2018 Public Relations Committee
- PVAMU student team advanced to the Semi-final Round in the MANRRS Quiz Bowl Competition
- Raymond Thomas, a junior agriculture major, and Russell Thomas, a freshman agriculture major – Selected and hosted by Farm Credit Bank to attend the conference as VIP Scholars
- Wash A. Jones, PVAMU chapter co-advisor – Served as Superintendent, Public Speaking Contest and was one of six nominees for National Advisor of the Year.
- Alfred L. Parks and Horace D. Hodge served as workshop panelists, “What Would You Do In this Interview,” facilitated by Tiffany Latin.
- Horace D. Hodge, Co-advisor, served as Judge, Undergraduate Research Poster Contest, Biological Division
A delegation of 14 students and three faculty/staff members represented PVAMU at the conference, which hosted about 1000 individuals representing higher education institutions, government agencies and corporations and companies across the United States. The conference featured a career fair with 85 exhibitors, 10 student contests wherein 275 students competed in research presentations, public speaking, writing competitions, business presentations, Chapter of the Year and MANRRS Quiz Bowl team competition. The 2018 conference will be in Greensboro, NC.
Photo (From left to right): Shirley Fritzsching, 1st Place Undergraduate Research Poster; Jasmine Hayes, 1st Place Undergraduate Research Poster; Gabriel Phillips, 3rd Place Undergraduate Research Poster.