Special Message from the VP of Student Affairs
Toward the end of last semester, I wrote you an update on the ongoing challenges within Panther Hill (PH) apartments. At that time, I also promised the creation of an office that would be responsible for supporting all of off-campus student life. This new office would work with relevant stakeholders to ensure that our students living in properties in the surrounding communities have a seamless and thriving experience. Although this is an ambitious effort, I have no doubt that with the right leadership and planning, we will go a long way toward meeting our goals. I have asked Mr. Anthony Hawkins, Coordinator for Housing, to help us in forming an off-campus housing office. He accepted the challenge and will be our point person on all off-campus matters until we stand up a permanent office.
Mr. Hawkins has already begun building rapport with members of the Prairie View Fair Housing Action Committee led by Pastor K.P. Tatum, Sr., and he recently visited with the leadership of PH. He shares that the management of PH has assured him of the following:
- All maintenance requests submitted prior to the Christmas break have been addressed and completed;
- A new and more effective process for submitting maintenance concerns has been recently rolled out for students. Students who have registered to use this online system currently have access;
- Students with water damage and mold issues have been placed in emergency status;
- Students who are displaced during repairs will be provided temporary housing until the work is complete; and
- Property management shared their Panther Hill emergency number for students/tenants to call: (713) 419-9047 with all concerns.
- Questions and concerns should be directed to the Panther Hill Management company.
We will continue to respect the tenant-landlord relationship of students living in properties within the surrounding communities while seeking to ensure student comfort and well-being. Further, we will continue to house students wishing to move into on-campus housing as long as there is availability. Students, and possibly their parents, are financially responsible for their present lease, and they will be fully responsible for their contract with university housing. I encourage you to confirm that you are able to meet your financial obligations as you explore your options.
Finally, I wish you all a PRODUCTIVE spring semester. If you have concerns with off-campus housing, please contact Mr. Hawkins at (936) 261-2651.
To: Prairie View A&M University Community & Students
From: Timothy Sams, Vice President for Student Affairs
Cc: Anthony J. Hawkins, Coordinator for Housing
Date: January 24, 2019
Re: Panther Hill Apartments