Opeyemi Oyenuga
Opeyemi Oyenuga

Hometown

Houston, Texas

Degree

Bachelor of Science in Nursing

What organizations were you a part of at PVAMU?

I was a part of the Student Government Association (Senator for the College of Nursing), MAPS (Minority Association of Pre-Health Students), PVSNA (Prairie View Student Nurses Association), PVISNO (Prairie View International Student Nurses Organization), and PV ASA (Prairie View African Student Association).

I was also the recipient of the Diamond Honor Awards, I made the Dean’s and President’s List every single semester of attendance, and I was chosen to represent the undergraduate students of the College of Nursing at the American Association College of Nursing Conference in Washington this past March.

What are your career aspirations?

I aspire to be a beacon of hope to those around me. I know this career that I have chosen was destined for me because I know I was called to care for others. I aspire to eventually take my knowledge and skillset that Prairie View has bestowed upon me to provide exceptional health care to as many individuals as I can.

Have you landed a job?

I have a job at Houston Methodist as a cardiac/neuro nurse. I was able to find out about the opportunity through a career fair that was held at the College of Nursing.

What are you looking forward to most in your new career?

I am looking forward to providing a sense of hope and peace to my patients. I want to be a helping hand to those at their most vulnerable time.

Do you feel that PVAMU adequately prepared you for your new career?

I feel that PVAMU prepared me for my career in several different aspects: Prairie View provided me with a sense of confidence and resilience that will allow me to withstand the many challenges that my career may bring to me.

I also love the endless amount of opportunities that PVAMU provides to its students. There is absolutely nothing that a student cannot do to benefit their collegiate career that Prairie View will not provide to them.

What is your advice to current students?

My advice to current students would be to cherish and embrace each moment! Make the most out of each minute spent at this illustrious university, and take every opportunity given to you. Fulfill your purpose, and make your mark at Prairie View so that you can aspire and propel those around you to greatness.