Dr. Xiaobo Peng TEL: (936) 261-9959 Email: email@example.com
CAD/CAM/CAE, Product Design, Virtual Reality, Collaborative Engineering Design
Facilities at Collaborative Engineering Design and Virtual Reality Lab:
Virtual Reality Facilities:
o Two PHANToM Omini Haptic Devices
o 4 HP graphics workstations
o OpenHaptics Toolkit
o Freeform Modeling system
Collaborative Engineering Design Facilities:
o Two High-end Sun servers (x2100)
o Twenty Five High-end HP engineering workstations
o Tandberg Video conference system
o Unigraphics NX3 (CAD)
o Teamcenter Community 5.2 (Collaboration)
o MAC. ADAMS, Altair. HyperWorks, and ANSYS (CAE)
o Video and audio conferencing software
Virtual Sculpting with Haptic Interface
The goal of this system is to enable interactive modeling in a virtual environment such that the user can focus on the design intent. An interactive modeling method as shown in Fig. 1 is implemented with VR hardware and software to allow the user creating and modifying 3D free-form object in an advanced virtual environment. The system’s stereo viewing, motion tracking and haptic interface capabilities provide a friendly environment where the user can create freeform objects in an intuitive manner similar to sculpting in a physical environment.
Figure 1. Schematic of virtual sculpting system
1. Zhang, W., Peng, X., and Leu, M.C., 2007, “A Novel Contour Generation Algorithm for Surface Reconstruction from Dexel Data,” Journal of Computing and Information Science in Engineering, 7(3), pp. 203-210.
2. Peng, X., Zhang, W. and Leu, M.C., 2006, “Freeform Modeling using Swept Differential Equation with Haptic Interface,” Journal of Virtual and Physical Prototyping, 1(3), pp. 183 – 196.
3. Leu, M.C., Peng, X. and Zhang, W., 2005, “Surface Reconstruction for Interactive Modeling of Freeform Solids by Virtual Sculpting,” CIRP Annals, 54(1), pp. 131-134.
4. Peng, X. and Leu, M. C., 2005, “Engineering Applications of Virtual Reality,” Mechanical Engineers’ Handbook, 3rd Edition, edited by Myer Kutz, John Wiley and Sons, pp. 732-761.
5. Peng, X. and Leu, M.C., 2004, “Interactive Solid Modeling in a Virtual Environment with Haptic Interface,” Virtual and Augmented Reality Applications in Manufacturing, edited by Ong, S. K. and Nee, A. Y. C., Springer-Verlag London Limited, London, pp. 43-61.
Was this information helpful? Provide Feedback or report broken links.