The Learning Curve
The mission of the Learning Curve is to provide a solid foundation that enables students to become confident, capable, independent learners. Competent and caring faculty, tutors and staff guide students in identifying, acquiring, and enhancing the knowledge, skills and attitudes needed to reach their desired goals, in a safe and encouraging learning environment.
- Provide tutoring for a variety of courses, as needed, in all academic areas.
- Coordinate with faculty members to provide supplemental and/or structured learning experiences to support classroom instruction.
- Organize study groups to enable students to work together to achieve academic goals.
- Identify potential student peer tutors who may provide tutorial support for courses not currently being served.
- Identify and implement additional services that may support students’ academic success, based on both expressed and demonstrated needs.
The Learning Curve is a component of the Division of Academic Engagement and Student Success at Prairie View A&M University! Our services are available to all undergraduate students enrolled for credit in targeted PVAMU courses.
What we do? Need help mastering mathematics? Looking for some assistance in making sure your research paper is just right? Look no further than the Learning Curve. Located in the John B. Coleman Library in Room 307F, the Center offers help for:
- Mathematics (Basic Math - Calculus II)
- Microeconomics, Macroeconomics
- History, Government
- Psychology, Sociology
- English (Basics - Freshman Comp II), Speech
- Spanish I&II
- Study groups, small group tutoring
- Structured study groups; structured learning
- Time management, survival strategies, studying tips
- Note taking and organization techniques
- Mid-term/Final Exam review sessions
- TSI Assessment Exam Workshops
- HESI Exam Workshops
- Tutoring by Appointment (Freshmen Only)
John B. Coleman Library
3rd Floor, Room 307F
Phone: (936) 261-1561
Hours of Operation
Monday - Thursday: 10 a.m. - 12 a.m. (Midnight)
Friday: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Sunday: 6 p.m. - 12 a.m. (Midnight)
Occasionally, weather conditions or other situations arise in which the decision whether to hold tutoring sessions is questionable. Students should be advised of the following policies in effect: If the University cancels classes, all tutoring programs will also be canceled during that time frame. If the University does not cancel classes but operates under the Adverse Weather Policy, tutoring sessions are assumed to run according to the normal schedule. However, individual tutors may opt to cancel their sessions if they feel conditions will pose a risk to their safety or the safety of the students. If you are uncertain whether the tutoring center is open due to adverse weather, you may call the Tutoring Center at (936) 261-1561 or email firstname.lastname@example.org