I have a confession. I’m a worrier. But I don’t worry if the Dallas Cowboys or the Houston Texans will make the playoffs, I worry about my family’s health and well being. Right now I’m especially worried about my mother and one of my brothers-in-law. Both are dealing with issues that I pray daily about. And I know I’m not supposed to worry, the Good Book teaches that if the Provider takes care of the birds he’ll take care of us (see Matthew 6:25-27). I get it. But I can’t help it. It’s the times we live in. And I’m worried.

Sometime last month, a Dallas pastor declared that if the current impeachment process leads to Trump’s removal it might cause a “civil war-like fracture” in this country. Of course, Trump embraced the comments. It would be too easy to suggest that these individuals have little understanding of the historical implications of the Civil War. They do. However, it would not be grandstanding to say that those four years (1861-1865) radically changed American society. So much so that more than 150 years later folks are still debating its meaning and outcome.

One cannot use speech like that and not know that it will elicit certain responses from certain groups. The South en masse never apologized for secession. Given the conduct of the original Thirteen Colonies who seceded from England, I’m not sure they should. Maybe in a democracy people should have the right to change their government when the government no longer protects their rights (see the Declaration of Independence).

So if I’m not expecting an apology for secession, should I expect an apology from the South for the vile institution of slavery? Again, probably not. Remember, those 17th, 18th, and 19th century European immigrants believed people of color were lower than themselves on the evolutionary ladder. The pseudo-science of the day reinforced this. Then, with regards to slavery, the South believed they were within their rights to exploit, rape, maim, and defile an entire segment of the population, based solely on race, without considering the negative longitudinal effects.

Sadly, the black community is still suffering from many of those longitudinal effects. For example, the decades of lynching immortalized by Billie Holiday’s haunting song “Strange Fruit” typified the pain from watching loved ones murdered and the bodies put on public display as a warning to others. Our society has yet to come to grips with the fact that such violence was used principally as a tool of social control. After 1865, fearing blacks would gain social and political equality, some in the white community believed violence was the best means to reestablish their superiority. For some reason, the federal government seemed unable, or unwilling, to do anything meaningful to deter such behavior.

So, I’m worried about the times we live in. A short time ago, a baseball umpire used Twitter to announce that he would buy an AR-15 if Trump is impeached. The quote I saw online implied such political action (impeachment) would be a siren call, of sorts, for all those who believe Trump is their leader. One of the things that worries me involves who are the individuals that believe Trump is their leader? Since the summer of 2015, political talking heads have argued that a majority of Trump supporters are from the Religious Right and white supremacists. Wow.

Now I’m really worried. Are these two groups one and the same? Maybe I should leave that question for another day.

So, there’s public admission that some of Trump’s supporters plan to purchase advanced military weapons and initiate a new civil war if/when it is acknowledged that Trump has violated the oath of his office. So who are these weapons to be used against? While there’s no overt mention of racial animosities, the history of European descendants shows that they never commit violence against themselves. But, Native Americans, Latin Americans, and those of African descent better be on guard.

Furthermore, that same history is rife with examples of communities being devastated because of racial animosities. No, I’m not referring to the dark ages when barbarians roamed the European countryside pillaging and raping at will. I’m thinking of places like Rosewood and Tulsa right here in the good ‘ole USA. It’s hard to imagine your communities being torn asunder for no apparent reason other than racial hatred. But too often this has been the fate of this country’s black community since 1619.

So, I’m a worrier. I know I shouldn’t be, but it’s who I am. I believe in the Good Book and I certainly believe the Provider will deliver on His promises. Still, I don’t know if Trump will be impeached or not. Other demagogues have come before and I’m sure many will come in the future. I can’t control that. All I can do is pray for the health of my family and for those across this land who just want to feed and clothe their children and take a vacation every now and then.

Still, it’s frightening that some in this society feel threatened because others disagree with their view of the world and their version of morality. I’m sorry but I don’t believe an AR-15 is a solution. The threat of Trump’s followers taking up arms to keep him in the White House may have unintended consequences for this society. I’m really worried about this because I don’t think the Constitution has a remedy for such consequences.

Yep, I’m a worrier.

Later.

PS: Still waiting on those promised tax returns.