Cheer Squad Description
The squad consists of enthusiastic, dynamic, fun, hardworking students whose mission is to primarily represent the university with a spirit of support for teams, fans and the entire Panther community. The squad is coed, where the men (commonly referred to as Yell Leaders) form part of the group with the Cheerleaders, and Mascots. It is a dynamic group of young men and women whose hard work, dedication and commitment are part of the overall success of the campus.
Performances range from halftime performances (basketball season) to pep rallies, spirit rallies, Spring Fest events, Homecoming parade, New Student Orientation programs and a host of the events focused on developing school spirit, pride and excitement.
PV Cheer Tryout Requirements
- $30.00 Application Fee
- Paid on Panther Market Place (No cash will be excepted at tryouts)
- All participants must complete a PV Cheer Application Form and the Medical Release Form. Extra forms will be provided at tryouts if needed. All participants under the age of 18 must have a parent’s signature on the medical release form prior to tryouts.
- All participants must show proof of acceptance to Prairie View A&M University. (If you are awaiting admission to the university, contact Ms. Wright at Nswright@pvamu.edu). Together with the admission’s office, cases will be reviewed on an individual basis.
- All participants must show proof of current medical insurance at tryouts. Attached to your cheer application YOU MUST BRING A COPY (FRONT AND BACK) OF YOUR CURRENT MEDICAL INSURANCE CARD. Participants will NOT be allowed to tryout without proof of current medical insurance.
** If you are not able to make tryouts, you will need to tryout by video and that needs to be submitted by Friday, April 20th, 2018 @8AM or before. Keep in mind that tryout videos are only for those candidates who have “Personal Emergencies” or candidates that are “Out of State”.
PV Cheer Video Tryout
1. Introduction of Yourself.
2. Why do you want to become a Prairie View A&M University Cheerleader?
3. Standing/Running Tumbling (Back-Tuck or higher) and then your “BEST PASS” (Specialty Pass).
4. Jumps: (Toe-Touch and Pike)
5. Cheer/Chant/Dance: (make up on your own). Dance needs to be only (4) 8 counts.
6. Stunts: Group: Extension-Full-down or Double-down, Liberty/Heel Stretch w/ Full-down or Double-down. Co-ed: Toss-Hands-Extension-Popoff/ Full-down or Double-down.
For more information please contact Cheer Coach Mr. Jackson 409-673-8521 or Cheer Advisor Ms. Wright 936-261-1344