The annual PV Girls Rock Awards Ceremony is here! Presented by the current Miss Prairie View A&M University, Jeaiza Quinones, the event honors the women of Prairie View A&M University and will take place at 3 p.m. March 4, 2017 in the Opal Johnson-Smith Auditorium. PV Girls Rock is free of charge and open to the general public. This event engages a broad audience of young and older women.
For two weeks, students were able to submit nominees for the 16 nomination categories. The top four nominations advanced to the voting round. This year, six special women will be honored during PV Girls Rock for their service to PVAMU. “Those names were the first on our mind and women that we chose to honor this year,” said Quinones.
- Priscilla Barbour ‘14, Student Government Association President 2013- 2014
- Phyllis Darden-Caldwell ’80 and ‘81, Mentor and Committee Member
- Tierra Chapman ’17, Emcee of the Prairie View A&M University Marching Storm Band
- Chelsee Hill ‘10, Miss Prairie View A&M University 2009-2010 and founder of the PVAMU Purple Jackets
- Barbara Jacket, PVAMU Women’s Track and Field coach and USA Track and Field coach
- Ivy L. Walls ‘16, Miss Prairie View A&M 2015-2016 and founder of PV Girls Rock
“I want the audience to gain a better understanding and appreciation for Prairie View women,” said Quinones. From the DJ to the performers, the event will have a strong female presence. “It’s going to be fun,” said Quinones. For the first time, the Black Foxes and Panther Dolls dance teams will perform together. The attire is “dress to impress” and tickets can be selected by clicking the link.
Written by Jourdan B. Scruggs