Full length journal, magazine and newspaper articles can be found in our online article collections.
If a book or article cannot be found in PVAMU’s resources, it can usually be borrowed from another library. Fill out the Interlibrary Loan form, and please note that it may take several weeks to receive the item.
Several books on Art are available in the Reserve Reading Room under “Dorsey”. Search the PVAMU Libraries Online Catalog for ‘art,’ . Most of the books on art that can be checked out are on the third floor in the N section. You’ll find useful statistics and background information in these Reference books on the first floor:
- McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of World Art REF N31 .E4833
- Art history Ref N5300 .S923
- 250 Years of Afro-American Art Ref Z5956 A47 .I38
- Art Index Ref Z5937 .A78
- The Oxford dictionary of art Ref N33 .O93
- Art and society in Italy, 1350-1500 Ref N6915 .W42 1997
- Art in Europe, 1700-1830 Ref N6756 .C73 1997
- Historical art index, A.D. 400-1650 :
people, places, and events depicted Ref N8210 R6 1989
- African American art and artists N6538 N5 L38 2003
- Contemporary Artists Ref N6490 C6567
- Contemporary Graphic Artists Ref NC975 C 66 1986
- The Dictionary of Art Ref N31 D5 1998
- Art: a history of painting, sculpture, architecture Ref N5300 H283
- St. James Guide to Black Artists Ref N40 S78 1997
- Schirmer Encyclopedia of Art Ref N31 L3 2002
- World Art American Museums Ref N510 M34 1983
- North American Women Artists of Twentieth Century: a biographical dictionary Ref N6503 N67 1995
- Artists from Latin American cultures: a biographical dictionary Ref N6502.5 C567 2002
- A History of Greek Art Ref N5630 R63
Useful Call Numbers
- Architecture NA
- Fine Arts N
- Sculpture NB
- Graphic Arts NC
- Painting ND
- Photography TR
- JSTOR Covers the arts, humanities, and social sciences, including architecture, art, history, archaeology, literature, philosophy, and related disciplines.
- World Cat (OCLC) is also a union (i.e. collective) catalog of records of different types of material (books, exhibition catalogs, periodicals, scores, films, recordings, etc.) cataloged by over 8,000 OCLC member libraries from libraries in the United States. It is updated daily. This database may be used to verify citations of items not found in J. B. Coleman library, to find a needed item in another local library, or to provide accurate citations for interlibrary loan requests.
- EBSCOhost (All EBSCO Databases) Many articles are available for humanities
- Lexis-Nexis academic
Provides access to: full-text of current news and up to the last 20 years; full-text company & financial information; full-text federal, state, & international legal materials; full-text and abstract medial & health information; general reference sources……
Studio Museum in Harlem – http://www.studiomuseum.org/
Museum of the African Diaspora – http://www.moadsf.org/
The Metropolitan Museum of Art – http://www.metmuseum.org/
Museum of Fine Arts Houston – http://www.mfah.org/
Contemporary Art Museum Houston – http://www.camh.org/
Archives of American Art (http://www.aaa.si.edu/)Part of the Smithsonian Institution, the Archives collects primary sources including illustrated letters and diaries, manuscripts, records of museums, galleries and schools, photographs of art world figures and events, and works of art on paper.