Research Help – Citations
Citation Management Systems
End Note and RefWorks citation management systems are available to you!
End Note – ( With End Note you can organize your references, images and PDFs in any language, and create bibliographies and figure lists instantly.
RefWorks (https://www.refworks.com/refworks) – Use it to save the citations for books, articles, websites and more to a personal account and easily create notes and bibliographies for your research papers.
Off campus access to Ref Works Prairie View Group code is: RWPrairieViewU
Citation Management Systems Citation Tools Allows You to …
. . .citations from databases like EBSCO, JSTOR, ProQuest, Lexis Nexis and more.
. . .them into folders by subject, project or class Format
. . .them into bibliographies in MLA, APA, Chicago Style, and more. Citation tools saves links to your research materials online so you can access them from anywhere
Four Easy Steps on Getting Started on RefWorks
1) Log into your account or create an account in RefWorks.
– Once in RefWorks – you may either type in your citation or populate from a
2) Search a resource such as JStor or ProQuest.
– You must have already logged into RefWorks before running a search. A saved search
3) Mark articles.
– Mark the articles you wish to have citations for. This procedure is different depending
which resource you are using.
4) Export to RefWorks.
– After marking the articles, select download or export to RefWorks depending on the
resource you are using.
– A prompt should appear displaying the option to create a document with the citation results.
– The results of your search should also be in your RefWorks account.
Special Features of RefWorks to Work with Microsoft Word
Write-N-Cite – Is a utility that allows users to run an abbreviated version of RefWorks in their word processor. It works with your word-processor to create citations while you are writing your paper. With Write-N-Cite, you can cite references in a manuscript instantly. There are multiple versions of Write-N-Cite available—depending on your preferred operating system. Installing Write-N-Cite – login on to your RefWorks account, select Tools pull down menu and select Write-N-Write.
Follow the instructions. You must have administrators rights to Install Write-N-Cite feature on your computer.
These Links Can Help You Use RefWorks
Ref Works Fundamentals Workbook – The workbook is designed to guide users through some of the basic features of using RefWorks (PDF)
RefWorks Advanced Features Workbook – The workbook is designed to guide users through some of the advanced features of using RefWorks. The Workbook follows the same topics of the Advanced Features Tutorial and Advanced Features training sessions offered by RefWorks. (PDF)
Reference Desk at (936) 261-1535 or email at Askalibrarian@pvamu.eduHow to Get Started On End Note
Five Easy Steps To Get Started on End Note
1) Log into your account or create an account in ISI Web of Science (http://apps.webofknowledgev4.com).
• Once in End Note – you may either type in your citation or populate from a
2) Go to the right side of the ISI Web of Science homepage under “My Web of Knowledge” and select
“My End Note Web”.
• The End Note Getting Started Guide is located on the End Note homepage.
3) Search a resource such as ISI Web of Science or EBSCO Host.
• You must have already logged into End Note before running a search. A saved search
• You may also search for citations and resources from a list of databases and other library
catalogs by selecting “Search online database”.
Special Features of End Note to Work with Microsoft WordCite While You Write (also known as CWYW) is a key feature of End Note. It allows you to access End Note from within Microsoft Word to insert citations into your Word documents. You can insert citations anytime during your writing process. You can also use Cite While You Write to insert images (figures) from an End Note library into your Word documents. CWYW automatically builds a bibliography from the citations you insert. You can also create a list of figures.
Installing Cite While You Write Log on to your End Note Account (http://www.myendnoteweb.com) and select Options. Select Download Installers from the Options menu and follow the instructions. You must have administrators’ rights to install the Cite While You Write feature on your computer.