Library Distance Services FAQ

Library Distance Services FAQ Library Distance Services FAQ May I use these services? You must be enrolled in an online course, a TV course, or an off-campus learning course administered by PVAMU in order receive these services. If you are also enrolled in on-campus courses we request that you visit the library in person rather than request materials by mail.

Do I need a library card?

No, you do not need a library card to take advantage of these services. Your student ID can be used to identify you as a Prairie View students for the purposes of accessing library materials.

How do I find out whether you have a book that I need?

Search the PVAMU Online Catalog ( to locate the books you need.

I found a book in the PVAMU Online Catalog. Can I get it from you?

Please see our Interlibrary Loan help page for more information:

How can I find journal articles?

Please see our Help on Remote Access page for information on search the library databases for journal articles:

Can you email articles to me?

Most databases provide email as an option for retrieval of the journal articles, however, we will be happy to email articles to you if they are in electronic format already. If you have an email address we will email them to you if the article is available to us electronically in order to avoid postage charges.

Please note, however, that we cannot do your research for you. You may not send us a request for “5 articles on horses” and leave the research to us.

How much does it cost to have PVAMU Library materials sent to me?

We will send you books and articles at no cost. You must have them returned to us at your own expense, however. Articles and other photocopies do not need to be returned. Books must be returned by the due date.

Is there a charge for Interlibrary Loan services?


I can’t seem to get into some of the databases. What’s wrong?

Some of the JBCL databases are not freely available on the Web. Access is restricted by IP address, which means that you must access the database from PVAMU web site. Please see the Access from Home page for instructions.

Can I borrow books from another college library?

Please see our Interlibrary Loan help page for information on obtaining materials from other institutions.

How long can I keep the books that I have checked out from your library?

The loan period for distance education learners is three weeks. Returned books must be received by the library on the due date in order to avoid overdue charges. Books may be renewed by telephoning the JBCL Circulation Dept. at (936) 261-1536 by the due date.

What do I do if you don’t have the book that I need?

Please use the Interlibrary Loan Request Form. We will request this material from another library and send it to you free of charge.